Last BIOS update for E5 574G-574L

diose
diose Member Posts: 6 New User

hey guys, i need help here. Wanna install Ubuntu 16.04.1 on my aspire but i need update my bios. But on Acer Drivers page i only found update to 1.14 version, and i need at least an 1.15 or later to be able to install.  Can someone give me a light?

Best Answer

• diose
    Answer ✓

hey guys sorry by not anwser before. Unfortunatelly i don't solve the problem with usb, so i made the installation with a dvd disc and it works. Don't know why yet this happen, but will keep the search. Thanks for support and the carel this really likes a community to me Smiley Very Happy

Answers

• benton582
    benton582 Member Posts: 213 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

Who told you that you need 1.15 to install? Please send the link.

• diose

http://community.acer.com/t5/E-and-M-Series-Laptops/Aspire-E5-573G-BIOS-downgrade/m-p/371730#M2050

here for a laptop closer to my model. But i can't say if this apply to my, because i don't know if the bios is the same and what the effect it would be on my motherboard.

And did you know any other option? i need dual-boot, win10 to develop on C is pretty bad :/

• benton582
    benton582 Member Posts: 213 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

I'm trying to find ways around this problem, but I have no idea how dual boot exactly works, and I am kind of out of options. I don't know why the BIOS needs to be involved aside from I/O or Bootloader. But I will call a more experienced forum member to help you solve this. I'm sorry I can't exactly help further.

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hi,

You don't need 1.15. The motherboards from 573G and 574G are not the same. They have completely diffent CPU architectures, which automatically needs different motherboards and different BIOS/UEFI.

For dual boot, you will need to install over the windows linux on a separate partition. Not the other way around. Linux has grub which will be aware that the windows OS is already present, but windows has boot manager which will not be avare about the linux existence. Thus you need windows first, and linux after.

Also after aniversary update, microsoft integrated basic bash functions on windows10. You can activate this and see if it will be helpful for you.

Here is how to activate it..

http://www.howtogeek.com/249966/how-to-install-and-use-the-linux-bash-shell-on-windows-10/

• diose

Thanks for the reply, Sharky25k. I'm happy that i don't need the bios update, but still don't work. Now i discover that my instalation of Win10 (Redstone 2) could be corrupting the creation of live usb, and this could be causing the issues. I was able to boot in UEFI mode pressing the F12 key, Ubuntu load but i have the same error again and again - the instalation freezes and on initramfs i have an error message, "can't open /dev/sr0: no medium found". The strange about it is yesterday i try with another pendrive (of a friend, with a live usb don't made on my win10) and the installer load all. Sadly he can't let with me to install. Will try again today, and for more that is trouble, is always nice do a journey to solve a problem on Techs Smiley Very Happy

• sharky25k

Hi,

What distribution you are installing?

Do you have a spare space where you will install linux?

What you used to create the bootable USB?

And above all, if you use linux ubuntu did you try this solution to the boot issue?

http://askubuntu.com/questions/47076/usb-boot-problems

As I told you, if you have aniversary update and you don't need really complicated stuff from linux, try the bash from windows, to see if it can do what you want/need.

• diose

i'm trying install Ubuntu 16.04.1, the pendrive is a Sandisk Cruzee Blade 8Gb and i created the live usb with Lili Usb, Rufus and now i'm trying with universal usb installer. Will try again, because in one of links i found a different option - enable ubuntu on security tab on bios, and i don't remember do it. soon i reply to you with whats happen

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

Ok.  I just used rufus with the following settings for a UEFI install...

rufuefi.png

And then insert your installation media in to the USB port.

Make sure you have a BIOS supervisor password set.

And then read eelcoherders post to add the appropriate entry (grub) in the secure boot settings in your UEFI/BIOS.

It's really not as hard as it sounds.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • diose

i did it JordanB, and the result is the same. Not problems with enabling Ubuntu on Secure Boot, but when load the screen keeps giving the same error: as before. Now i will try create the boot pendrive with a vm (VMware player) and dd command, but i have no more ideas of how solve it.

• sharky25k

Hi,

How in my last post I suggested to try the solution in the link you should do the same but also try to add in the command line --ignore-floppies to see if it will work. I know, you don't have a floppy drive but for some reason ubuntu looks like it has some issue with one...

• JordanB

diose,

I'm sorry but I'm out of ideas.  When I installed Ubuntu 16.04........

1. I went in to Windows 10 Disk Management and shrank my C drive to give me some unallocated space (about 30 GB)

2. I created UEFI Ubuntu USB installation media with rufus (with the iso)

3. I went in to UEFI settings and created a supervisor password, and then enabled the F12 boot menu..save/exit.

4. I restarted computer and then went back in to UEFI and added grub to the trusted secure boot....save/exit

5. I installed Ubuntu

6.  It all went fine and was uneventful....I never had any errors......Ubuntu works fine.  My computer boots to Windows 10 by default.  If I want Ubuntu, then I hit the F12 key to bring up boot menu at Acer screen.

I don't have your computer model, but am pretty sure I have basically the same InsydeH20 UEFI just like you.

Hopefully Sharky can help you get it sorted out.

• angus1024
    angus1024 Member Posts: 2 New User

someone showed me how to install ubuntu on an es 11 = es1 -131 cs11 laptop. I actually wiped win10 as there was not enough hard disk space. You install in the usual way but the trick is to boot off the installed ubuntu. goto bios (F2) at poweron, set the supervisor password and i9n the security menu you need select an uefi file as trusted (forget which one). I also recall had to enable the 'mouse' pointer  somehow in bios

• JordanB

One other step that I forgot to mention was that I disabled "fast startup" (uncheck the box).  I don't think that will help you, and I'm not even sure it's still necessary, but I did it anyway.

disfast.PNG

• JordanB

The discussion and links on why you should disable fast startup is in link below (and many other places on internet)...

http://askubuntu.com/questions/452071/why-disable-fast-boot-on-windows-8-when-having-dual-booting

• diose
    Answer ✓

hey guys sorry by not anwser before. Unfortunatelly i don't solve the problem with usb, so i made the installation with a dvd disc and it works. Don't know why yet this happen, but will keep the search. Thanks for support and the carel this really likes a community to me Smiley Very Happy