WIndows 10 Anniversary Update causing freezing - any solutions?

PaulQ
PaulQ Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Are you experiencing whole system freezes after the anniversary update? It's happening every 10-20 minutes and lasts about 30 seconds. People all over the web are reporting it on all sorts of different laptops. I am wondering if any Acer users have a fix.

Have you experienced it on your VN7? What's your solution?

I can't rollback. I tried and my whole system crashed. I had to reinstall Windows from scratch and all I could find was the Annniversary version. Now I'm stuck with it and the freezing.

Paul

Answers

• andyz
    andyz Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter

Currently I am having problems related to I think a windows update. I use my laptop for a bit and then it locks up completely and the fan goes to full and stays locked up for several minutes until I hard reset it when it may do some quick recovery thing. Hopefully updating has now worked but it happened twice so far...

• andyz
    Nope laptop unusable - locking up indefinitely every session
  • PaulQ

Tinkerer

You guys are indeed experiencing the Windows 10 Anniversary update bug. I spent days trying to fix it. The only solution I have found is to roll back to the April v1511 of Windows and not update again. Everything is working fine now.

I found help in this forum and thread. It's long so be prepared to read. I used the tool to download the previous version from Microsoft.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/windows-10-may-freeze-after-installing-the/5a60d75d-120a-4502-873c-8bfec65c82d0

Good luck!

• CMC
    CMC Member Posts: 2 New User

Same here on a V17 Nitro. In my case it is one of the recent windows updates that causes the freeze.

Short-term workaround:

- <Windows>-<R>

- services.msc

- scroll down to 'Windows Update' and double-click

- set to 'disabled'

If you are too slow to do this before the freeze, try to boot in safe mode (google for Windows 10 instructions) and do it there.

Warning: disabling Windows Update is of course *not* an acceptable mid-term solution. Please post here if you got a permanent fix for this issue...

• andyz

My laptop eventually fixed itself after refusing to boot into anything but safe mode for ages.

However it is still freezing for short periods, probably a driver issue but I don't know how to find the problem

• PaulQ

Tinkerer

100% agree with CMC and shutting down Windows Update needs to be done.

No news on permanent fix from Microsoft yet. I love having my system exposed to any future explouts because I can't get Windows Updates. Microsoft really dropped the ball. They are fixing the webcam issue faster than this one.

• CMC
    CMC Member Posts: 2 New User

Maybe I hit the wrong thread...

Symptoms are as described by andyz: after every reboot Windows Update automatically tries to install an update (this one here KB3172729), freezing the system when almost done (96%) and the fan goes to full. It won't come back, only a hard reset helps.

However, I'm still on Windows Version 1511 and currently only disabling Windows Update helps.

Update: Microsoft has a tool to skip individual updates "Show or hide updates" troubleshooter

Like this, at least the other updates go through now.

• PaulQ

Tinkerer

That "show/hide updates tool" looks interesting. When I run it, it presents me with a bunch of updates but none of them are the Anniversary update which i would love to hide and be able to get the others. Right now, I am just sticking with all updates off. This could just be me.