Do I need to replace the hdd in my Acer Aspire All-In-One 5600U?

csbtrod
csbtrod Member Posts: 6 New User
edited March 2023 in 2016 Archives

I have an Acer Aspire All-In-One 5600U. The other day the power in our home went out due to a storm. After it came back on and I went to use my computer, the screen was black and said "Reboot and select proper boot device . . .". I tried downloading the media creation tool to a USB and booting up using this. I can get into the Troubleshooting menu but nothing works. When I attempt to do a custom install of Windows , it says "no signed device drivers were found". Is this a hard drive problem? In the BIOS, under Boot Options is does not list a specific hard drive. It just says "hard drive". Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Best Answer

• csbtrod
    Answer ✓
    Thanks, that's what I needed to know. Appreciate the help, IronFly.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

on BIOS, check under SATA devices or main screen if your HDD model is listed, if not, your HDD is gone.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • csbtrod
    Thanks for the reply IronFly. No HDD model listed. With which brand/model/type of hard drive would I replace the original if I chose to do so? Thanks again for any info.
  • IronFly

It depends if you model had the SSD or HDD/Hybrid.

by the way, any new SSD will work, so it's worth to upgrade to something faster too, like Samsung EVO 850 2.5"

• csbtrod
    Answer ✓
    Thanks, that's what I needed to know. Appreciate the help, IronFly.
  • IronFly
    You welcome.
  • IronFly

this is a 3.5" and as far as i know you can fit only 2.5".

by the way, you need to check what's installed on your 5600U first.

• csbtrod

Thanks again, IronFly. 

• Snuffy
    Snuffy Member Posts: 150 Fixer WiFi Icon
    I have several ACER AIOs that 2 have a 3.5" HDD and the other has a 2.5" HDD. so before i would buy something, take it apart and check to see what the HDD is. also check the HDD connection cable. I have fixed more than 1 AIO that the CABLE simply worked loose due to the cable did not have a CLIP to hold in place and 1 was rather short, so I replaced it with a longer cable and with clips to held in place. now you can get a adapter to use a 2.5" in the 3.5' slot, but no way can you use a 3.5" in the 2.5" version. unless you want to remove the DVD and use that adapter.
  • csbtrod

Thanks Snuffy! Yes, I ended up taking it apart before I ordered anything. It had a 2.5" HDD that I replaced with a 2.5" sshd. All is working well. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to recover any of the files off of my old drive. Live and learn!

• Snuffy
    Snuffy Member Posts: 150 Fixer WiFi Icon
    There are many good FREE Recovery Programs with which to takes time to Recovery Many files, I spend over 8 hrs doing a 2 TB for a Client.
  • Victour
    Victour Member Posts: 8 New User

Had my Z5600 apart today and it has a 1 t HD 3.5