Windows updating freezing laptop - unusable - Acer only suggests win8.1 revert!

andyz
andyz Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter

I have a VN7-791G-76Q2 laptop which is currently unusable as windows 10 update causes it to freeze indefinitely.

e.g. no apps open but have settings - windows-update open, says:

Updates are available for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3172729)
Preparing to install updates 98% - locks up

stays locked up until hard reset
same happens again
laptop unusable

Can anyone help?

(Tried Acer live chat - suggestion is to revert to windows 8.1 as was installed on year old laptop at purchase. (erm thanks, but no!))

Answers

• Imstalkingu
    Imstalkingu Member Posts: 6 New User
    I am having this same problem as well. Acer m5-583p-5859. Every time I turn on my laptop in about a min or so it freezes as well. Nothing moves and only way to shut it off is a hard reset.
    Please help! I honestly regret buying acer because of the lack of support.
  • andyz
    Yep last time I buy Acer. I tried forcing update to latest anniversary update but still locks up, this time on reaching login screen
  • Imstalkingu

How do you force it to update? The thing keep freezing when it says preparing to install updates 86%

• andyz
    It is difficult as must start anniversary update before it locks up but i dont recommend trying until your laptop is stable as-is. https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/08/02/how-to-get-the-windows-10-anniversary-update/
  • Imstalkingu

ANDY!

I got the SOLUTION! I just fixed my Aspire M5-583P-5859 LAPTOP!

My cousin told me to do this:
    Go to settings > Recovery > Reset this PC.

Now if you computer freezes before this happen you have to do the following...

Go to safe mode (HOLD ON TO SHIFT AND PRESS RESTART) and click repair and trouble shoot. Then do the above steps.

Hope this helps!

• jaylag
    jaylag Member Posts: 1 New User

Just pent the last few hours trying to address this exact issue! It seems to be working now.

0.  Ran chkdsk

1. I then did a system restore. I went all the way back to July 30, but probably could do somethign more recent since this update is dated August 12, 2016.

See: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2984712/windows/how-to-enter-windows-10s-safe-mode.html

2. I downloaded Microsoft's Wushowhide tool and hid that update.

See: http://www.pcworld.com/article/3066844/windows/20-fixes-for-a-windows-10-update-meltdown.html

I may try to update my computer next, but I seem to be stable for now.

• Imstalkingu
    The real solution may be to just block automatic updates from Windows. Hope it helped!
    Best,
    Peter
  • andyz
    I could reset my pc but to what version would that be? I would have to reinstall all apps too