Aspire 5750 power supply

stephaniepb
stephaniepb Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Hi there. I have an Aspire 5750. This has been a great laptop for me but over the past few weeks the power adapter connection has been really sketchy. The issue seems to be at the connection where it plugs into the computer itself. The power cord seems to come disconnected somehow frequently. If I unplug it from the laptop and then put the plug back in again, this fixes it for a few seconds, but then the power button light starts flashing and it's disconnected again.

I was hoping it was an issue with the adapter itself so I bought a replacement one but it isn't any better than the one that came with the laptop. Is this a common issue? I assume it's a problem with the connection inside the laptop where you put the plug in... but I'm off warranty and have no idea what to do to fix it. Do I need a new laptop?

(While I'm fairly decent with most software programs, hardware for me is a totally different ballgame! Any help would be appreciated!)

Thanks!

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

The power socket is soldered to the power board  and repeated pulling and pushing it can sometimes pull loose or crack a solder connection. You will need to disassemble the laptop to resolder/replace the power board.

New board 

http://www.cdsparts.com/p-3374-new-acer-aspire-5350-5750-5750g-5750z-series-power-board-cable.aspx?CAGPSPN=pla&gclid=CI_aoYXpxcgCFY49gQodF3cPhQ

Disassemble https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maoRU9NhyJo

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,017 Trailblazer

Hello stephaniepb,

You need a new DC-IN cable and not a power board.

To confirm the part number of the DC-IN cable:

Could you give me the first ten characters of the computer serial number (S/N)? Only the first ten.

France
  • philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

Laurent: 

Q̶U̶O̶T̶E̶ ̶s̶t̶e̶p̶h̶a̶n̶i̶e̶p̶b̶ ̶:̶I̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶h̶o̶p̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶i̶s̶s̶u̶e̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶a̶d̶a̶p̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶i̶t̶s̶e̶l̶f̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶I̶ ̶b̶o̶u̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶a̶ ̶r̶e̶p̶l̶a̶c̶e̶m̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶i̶s̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶ ̶b̶e̶t̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶c̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶l̶a̶p̶t̶o̶p̶.̶

I retract my last statement because Laurent is absolutely correct.

• mlhuss244
    mlhuss244 Member Posts: 1 New User

I have had the same problem and the socket on the laptop needs replacing.

This is a bad design fault as it relies on the three soldiered points on the jack to hold it in place,most laptop have proper housing to hold the jack point in place.

I have had mine repaired four times now ,it is something that Acer should recall and find a way to fix this problem.