Bios in an Acer Aspire 8942.

Cedro
Cedro Member Posts: 7 New User

I am locked out of my BIOS on an ACER Aspire 8942 and I have reset BIOS to defaults and need the factory password to edit it as I have no access. I was doing a refresh and somehow I hit enter and it must have set up a password I do not know so it locked me out.

Any ideas?

Has anyone used the  Isunshare winfdows password genius? 

Thanks for any help.. Ed

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Have you tried removing the battery and power supply. Then press and hold the power button to try to reset the bios? Another option is to see if you have a bios re-set jumper pins usually located in the DRAM module compartment on the bottom of the machine --- it should be located somewhere around the periphery of the DRAM module so you shouldn't have to remove the module.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Answer ✓

Have you tried removing the battery and power supply. Then press and hold the power button to try to reset the bios? Another option is to see if you have a bios re-set jumper pins usually located in the DRAM module compartment on the bottom of the machine --- it should be located somewhere around the periphery of the DRAM module so you shouldn't have to remove the module.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Cedro
    Cedro Member Posts: 7 New User

Thanks heaps Jack E. Removing battery and Power Supply managed to reset BIOS.

Can now get to factory setting, but am not sure what to do as do not want to nuke either one of my hard drives.

Have win 10 on one and Win 7 on other.

I need to get to where I can select which drive to boot into and do not really want to have to use a password to access Bios.  Any info on that? I do not want to mess up again.

Thanks, cedro.

• JackE

>>>I need to get to where I can select which drive to boot into and do not really want to have to use a password to access Bios. >>>

You shouldn't have to use a bios access password now unless you set the bios to do so. I'd advise against setting a bios password. At any rate, on a cold boot, tapping F2 at the Acer logo should now allow you to enter the bios menu without a password. One of the menu headings will have a section on setting a bios password. It should be off or disabled. Leave it off or disabled. Then check the boot heading. It should list a boot device order which you can change by pressing F5 or F6. If the first device on the boot order list has a bootable partition, it should boot to whatever operating system is on that bootable partition.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ