Replace/Upgrade motherboard and video card?

AngeloMark11
AngeloMark11 Member Posts: 24 New User

Hello,

Just wondering if it's possible to replace the motherboard of my laptop with a higher one? Or just the video card with a GTX and not a GT. Thanks in advance.

Acer Aspire V15 Nitro (VN7-571G-73ZJ)

Intel Core i7-5500U
Nvidia GeForce GT 940M
8GB DDR3L

Answers

• Lucas2014
    Lucas2014 ACE Posts: 567 Pioneer

video card is possible but more is not feasible, however checks your video card it is not welded, if welded is not possible to change the video card and if not welded still have more of a problem, you should check your motherboard supports other type of plate to be installed and also if the driver will be compatible with your motherboard. Already the motherboard if the same model that its possible ée yes replace the motherboard to get a good upgrade, Best Buy and even better that is more viable. I have helped (Used Translator)

• AngeloMark11

Thanks. A little hard to understand what you're saying though. But if theres a higher end motherboard and video card that can fit into my laptop's case, will it be possible to replace my motherboard and video card?

• Lucas2014

If you find a model with its higher performance but it is possible yes

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hi,

I think you would be better off to buy a new notebook. Why? Simple.

If you change the motherboard you automatically change the CPU and the GPU which are soldered on the computer. The only things which will you keep is the memory, keyboard, LCD and HDD/SSD.

And of course the most value in a notebook is the CPU and the GPU.

You are trying to replace the components which are not replaceable (or not user replaceable) Since the CPU and GPU is soldered to the motherboard you will need special equipment to put on new ones. And you have the risk that the sockets will not be compatible. There are so many problems with this idea.

As I told you, bettter buy a new notebook, the cost of the motherboard (with CPU and GPU) with mounting and headache (because it can be that something will not fit smoothly) will sure exceed the price of a new notebook.

Please don't confuse the notebook with the PC. In a notebook the HDD/SSD RAM and wifi card are the only things which are user upgradable. Rest, generally are not upgradable at all.

• AngeloMark11

Thanks! Good advice though. Appreciated it. Cheers!

• Caroli
    Caroli Member Posts: 7 New User

If you know how to diassemble the laptop and how to replace it, you can have a try. Otherwise, I don't suggest you do that. Replacing motherboard will cost less than buying a new one only if you are familiar with disassembling.

https://www.empowerlaptop.com/

• Lucas2014

If she knows disassembling the notebook and her mother find a better account card worth rather make the upgrade investment, see the price you paid and demand for a stronger motherboard that his and compare prices

• AngeloMark11

I think some of the VN7 series has the same sizes of motherboard but different specs, so maybe it's possible? What do you guys think?

• Lucas2014

It has the motherboard measures

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hi,

I am sorry but I have a quick question for you. Did you ever opened a notebook?

Do you think that a notebook has a ITX, Mini ITX or other standard form factor motherboard?

Mainly all notebooks have custom build motherboards.

So let's see an example

Here is the motherboard for VN7-591G (my current daily driver)

http://www.myfixguide.com/manual/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Acer-Aspire-VN7-591G-Disassembly-4.jpg

And here is your motherboard

http://www.notebookcheck.com/fileadmin/_processed_/csm_Aspire_V15_Nitro_Innereien_e4583573b5.jpg

So let's see? Are they the same? Will they fit? Could you install it? Short answer: NO.

You can check any other VN7 and you will see the same situation. Let's say that by miracle you find a way to fit it in your case. Question? How you will manage to put the two exhaust fans (on each side of the 591G) to your notebook which has a single fan in the MIDDLE of the board (where the 591G has the GPU and CPU). There are so many problems with this idea that it would be better to make a custom case for the new motherboard.

And for the rest of the people commenting here. Did you check the webpage you mentioned above for a motherboard from acer which would (miraculously) fit in his notebook? For sure not! There are really old models of acer, and none of which I found would be an "upgrade" for his system (only downgrades are available).

Just inducing the person in error is not a solution, eh? And just writing to a post for fun is also not a solution. I would not say anything if somebody from you came with the suggestions what CPU would be able to solder to his actual motherboard (which would be compatible) and so on, or how he could solder it (for sure not by hand).

Just throwing some random sites in the post (not even checked if they have what the user needs) does not mean you helped/gave a good advise to the user.