My new Acer Aspire types numbers instead of letters. The num lock is off.

jcarmein
jcarmein Member Posts: 2 New User

I have a new Acer Aspire R. It will suddenly type numbers instead of letters (all keys). The num lock is off. I can fix it for awhile by turning tablet mode on and then off again. But later will randomly start typing numbers again. Very annoying.  Sometimes the tablet mode doesn't work and I need to reboot. 

Answers

• scrambler
    scrambler Member Posts: 127 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon

Did you check if it is always exactly the same numbers for each letters, or is it random?

If random, you may have a dying keyboard. A good test for that, is to get hold of a USB keyboard. then next time you have the issue, go in the device Manager, deactivate your keyboard, then connect the USB keyboard, and see if that works fine. If it does, then it points to your keyboard going bad

One thing that could not hurt, is to open the device manager, and uninstall the keyboard, then reboot so its driver is reinstalled.

• jcarmein
    jcarmein Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks for the reply. I tried it, but it didn't work, so I took the computer back to Best Buy. Turns out that a privacy program that I had on the computer (one that codes keystrokes) was not compatible. We uninstalled it and all is well.