DVD drive for Aspire E5-772

Joecline
Joecline Member Posts: 4 New User

About 200 years ago when I was in high school, I used to read the giant Computer shopper magazine and I recall a small company called Acer. I decided that they had been around for a long time and I'd give them a shot.

This was my first laptop purchase that was not a Thinkpad. I already regret it and probably never will buy another non-ThinkPad again (even though they too have gone digustingly cheaper on their product line).

That said, I bought it for my son as a game computer so I expected it to suffice. Anyway, the E5-772g that I got my son for about $600 doesn't have a DVD drive. I chatted with Acer support and low and behold, they couldn't give me a part number or a URL where I could find the replacement parts. It's not in any manuals and they gave me a number to call of a random parts company that had an actual answering machine recording calls.

Even prayers to Google provided virtually no links and nary a website with an optical drive part for the E5-772 except some pretty weak looking site in the UK.

1) Do they make drives that are compatible and what are the part numbers?

2) Why is Acer support so useless?

Thanks in advance.

Best Answer

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,017 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Hello,

Here are the part numbers of the ODD units (cable, bracket, screw, ODD modules and bezel):

Spoiler
    50.MVAN1.004ODD.CABLE.FFC ( Qty=1 - If the connector is missing)
    33.MVAN1.001ODD.BRACKET (Qty=1)
    86.M92N1.005SCREW.M2.5x2.5 (Qty=1 - To fix bracket/ODD)
    KO.00807.020DVD/R/RW.SMULTI.9MM.TRAY.8X (Panasonic)
    KO.0080D.017DVD/R/RW.SMULTI.9MM.TRAY.8X (Hitachi Lg Data Storage)
    42.MVAN1.002ODD.BEZEL.SUPER.MULTI (Qty=1)

You can request a quote and place an order from your Acer store by phone or by chat.

I hope the cable is already installed because this will require the disassembly of the laptop.

France

Answers

• laurent_14

Hello,

Could you give me the first ten characters of the computer serial number (S/N)? Only the first ten.

France
  • Joecline

They are: NXMVAAA003

• laurent_14

I think you haven't the ODD cable.

So could you remove the dummy ODD (only one screw located on the bottom of the laptop) and check if there is a SATA connector in the bottom of the housing?

It look like this:

LT-ODD SATA connector

France
  • Joecline

My son is with his grandparents out of state until next week. I'm happy to get a cable as well if that's needed. Can you give me the part numbers?

• laurent_14

Ok I'll give you all part numbers needed tomorrow. It's time to sleep in my country!Smiley Happy

See you tomorrow,

Laurent.

France
  • laurent_14
    Answer ✓

Hello,

Here are the part numbers of the ODD units (cable, bracket, screw, ODD modules and bezel):

Spoiler
    50.MVAN1.004ODD.CABLE.FFC ( Qty=1 - If the connector is missing)
    33.MVAN1.001ODD.BRACKET (Qty=1)
    86.M92N1.005SCREW.M2.5x2.5 (Qty=1 - To fix bracket/ODD)
    KO.00807.020DVD/R/RW.SMULTI.9MM.TRAY.8X (Panasonic)
    KO.0080D.017DVD/R/RW.SMULTI.9MM.TRAY.8X (Hitachi Lg Data Storage)
    42.MVAN1.002ODD.BEZEL.SUPER.MULTI (Qty=1)

You can request a quote and place an order from your Acer store by phone or by chat.

I hope the cable is already installed because this will require the disassembly of the laptop.

France
  • Joecline

Thank you for the help. I really appreciate it.

Any idea why these aren't documented or the support staff trained in this info? It's pretty unsettling to spend that much on a computer and now learn that in order to get support, I need to post on a forum.

• laurent_14

I think they have to respect the warranty terms and It's easier to support a product in its original configuration. By adding an ODD unit, there is no risk. I can understand you and them. The main one is to find a solution.

Note: I'm not an Acer employee. I'm just a member like you.Smiley Happy

France