Aspire One Cloudbook A01-431 how to update BIOS to avoid message 'Bios is not fully acpi compliant'

Michaels1233211
Michaels1233211 Member Posts: 10 New User
edited March 2023 in 2016 Archives

Hello,

I purchased the Aspire One Cloudbook A01-431 with Windows 10 64bit.

I am trying to install Win7 but I receive the following message during the installation process

"Bios is not fully acpi compliant"

I also tried to install WinXP but same message.

I also tried to install Win7 directly from Windows 10 but during the process an error message shows up that some driver is not compatible. This shows up when the Window appears where the drive can be chosen to install Win7.

Therefore, how do I update BIOS maybe this solves the issue. I can download the files but there is no manual. I want to be careful so I am looking for a manual.

Thank you for your replies

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer

I suggest that you leave the current bios version alone. First, have you tried to enter the bios menu and turn off the secure boot option?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Michaels1233211

Hi, thank you for your reply.

Yes I did I had to disable the secure boot option otherwise it would not recognise the USB stick.

Therefore I am still looking to update the BIOS or any other solution to avoid this message regarding the acpi compliance.

• JackE

Is the bios in legacy mode?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Michaels1233211

Hi, yes I tried both modes. Still no success

• JackE

>>>install Win7 but I receive the following message during the installation process "Bios is not fully acpi compliant">>>

At what point in the process does this message pop up?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Michaels1233211

Hi, 

To answer your question:

[USB stick is plugged in, I turn notebook on]

"Windows is loading files" and basic graphics appear until 100% (1-2 seconds)

then this repeats once

"Windows is loading files" and basic graphics appear until 100% (1-2 seconds)

then the "Starting Windows" text appears but no logo above the text. Usually there is the Window logo above it

at the very bottom there is the Microsoft Cooperation sign and the copyright

after 2-3 seconds while this is displayed the following happens:

Windows 7 64bit: a red line appears at the top of the screen that expands towards the bottom and fills around 5% of the screen. Screen stays frozen then

Windows 7 32bit: blue screen and the message "BIOS is not fully ACPI compliant".

I noticed others experienced the same with different computers but I could not find a solution to it. The only hope that is left is to update the bios

• JackE

Do NOT try to update the bios as it might brick the system! Return to the bios menu and check the available hard drive options. Report back.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Michaels1233211

Hi, thank you for your reply. It seems there are no available hard drive options but maybe I am not aware of it. I list all available BIOS options below:

Tab "Information" --> only Infos about BIOS, memory etc. No changes possible.

Tab "Main" --> System Time / System Date / Network Boot [Enabled,Disabled] / F12 Boot Menu [Enabed,Disabled] / Touchpad [Basic,Advanced] / Lid Open Resume [Enabled,Disabled] / D2D Recovery [Enabled,Disabled] / GPT Partition Recovery [None,Save,Restore]

Tab "Security" --> Set Supervisor Password / Set User Password / Password on boot [Enabled,Disabled] / Erase all Secure Boot Setting / Select an UEFI file as trusted for executing / Restore Secure Boot to factory default / Changed TPM TCM State [Enabled,Disabled] / Clear TPM TCM

Tab "Boot" --> Boot Mode [Uefi,Legacy] / Secure Boot [Enabled,Disabled] / Boot Priority Order [USB HDD which is the one stick,USB FDD,USB CD Rom,EMMC internal flash drive,Network boot IPV4,Network Boot IPV6]

Tab "Exit" --> Exit Saving Changes / Exit Discarding Changes / Load Setup Defaults

That's it. I do not see any hard drive options

• JackE

>>>I do not see any hard drive options>>>

That might be the problem. I'm guessing some budget SSDs might not be backward compatible with the older/slower Win7 boot routines. Let me do some research before responding any further.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Michaels1233211

Yes it seems there is no solution to it. Even updating the BIOS did not fix it for others so I will definitely not try it.

I also tried the following:

- create USB stick with Rufus with all kind of different options and fat32 as well as ntfs format

- create USB stick manually with diskpart 

- tried Windows 7 32bit as well as 64bit

- Installed Windows 10  64bit and tried to install Windows 7 from there --> some driver was not compatible when choosing the hard drive where to install. I later read that the specific driver is only intended for 32bit systems and 'legacy'. I therefore tried to install the Windows 10 32bit but did not succeed as I got stuck at the same place as with the Windows 7 64bit when trying to install directly from Windows 10 64bit

- started Windows 10 64bit setup from boot menu, chose 'repair' and tried to start setup for Win7 64bit from command prompt cmd. Could not manage to start as the Win10 setup always appeared when trying to start the file that should start the Win7 setup. Closing that process always closed the entire Win10 setup as well

I found more information here, it is basically what I experienced but the BIOS is slightly different:

http://superuser.com/questions/1007351/i-get-a-red-bar-when-trying-to-install-windows-7-dvd-and-it-freezes

That person could not solve it either.

I think the conclusion is that it is not possible to install any Microsoft OS below Win10 (maybe 8 I did not try).

• Michaels1233211

I also tried to boot in UEFI with secure mode by adding the *.efi file in BIOS. This worked but the problem persisted

• JackE

>>>I think the conclusion is that it is not possible to install any Microsoft OS below Win10 (maybe 8 I did not try).>>>>>>I also tried to boot in UEFI with secure mode by adding the *.efi file in BIOS. This worked but the problem persisted>>>

One of my colleagues came to a similar conclusion but regarding the future of UEFI in general. I still lean toward a budget SSD issue since the UEFI in this particular case still has legacy bios capability. The budget SSD in your system is described here.

https://www.skhynix.com/eng/product/nandEMMC.jsp

If you do a google search of eMMC vs HDD storage, I think you'll quickly see that eMMC generally can't be expected to run an OS without help from UEFI mode. A legacy bios just isn't gonna cut it. Sorry.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE

One of my other colleagues referred to this thread regarding a cloudbook boot problem that may be relevant. Your UEFI bios is similar.

https://community.acer.com/t5/Linux/Ubuntu-on-E5-573G-71L9-black-screen-after-menu-on-Live-USB/m-p/406825#M56

Though aimed at installing Linux, the gist of this thread is that a password-enabled UEFI bios reveals more secure boot options, many of which are rather cryptically described but tempting to try just to see if it ***might*** resolve your particular issue of installing Win7.

Proceed at your own risk if you're game. 8^)

Jack E/NJ    

Jack E/NJ

• Michaels1233211

Hi, thank you for your reply. I already tried all options with BIOS password enabled it is basically only the option to add the EFI file / delete again. It's true this works with Linux Mint in EFI mode I already tested this last week otherwise it is only possible to start Linux Mint in Legacy mode. However, with Windows it does not solve the problem. Yes it starts loading the setup files but then it stops at the same point as in legacy mode or disabled secure EFI mode. To summarize, it neither works in legacy nor disabled secure EFI mode nor secure mode with EFI files loaded in BIOS. It simply does not work Smiley Sad

• JackE

>>>It simply does not work>>>

Back to the eMMC drive. I suggest ***trying*** to contact and get an answer directly from SK Hynix, Samsung or Kingston (whichever brand eMMC is installed on your system)  as to whether or not they have a Win7 installation driver that would allow a Win7 installation on their drive. That's still my best guess as to where the issue lies. 

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Michaels1233211

It must be a driver/hardware problem otherwise the red dotted lines would not appear on the screen. I contacted SK Hynix it's a HBG4e 32GB flash storage. I will reply once I get a response from them.

• JackE

>>>I will reply once I get a response from them.>>>

Thanks. This will be good for all of us to know, one way or another. Just hope they do respond. I won't hold my breath though. 8^)

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Michaels1233211

I received a response from both SK Hynix and then Acer after I contacted them. The outcome is not very exciting or helpful, here the answers: 

SK Hynix:

SK hynix provides information regarding to eMMC technology to customers whom are under NDA contract.
    Please contact the nearest SK hynix office by referring below for further support:

SK hynix UK Limited
    243 Brooklands Road, Weybridge, Surrey KT13 0RH, UK
    Tel: 44-1932-827-700
    Fax: 44-1932-827-745~7

Acer:

Thank you for contacting Acer Group Technical Support.
    I will provide you with the information.
    You can install an operating system different from what shipped on your computer. If you choose to do so, you are responsible for locating and installing any drivers or software needed. Acer will not be able to troubleshoot any issues you have while installing or using another operating system.
    As per our records, I see that we do not have a drivers for windows 7 OS. If you wish, you can install the windows 7 OS and you can download the drivers online.

And we have not tested the unit with any computer with windows 7 OS.

In order to update the warranty, please provide the purchase date and the store name where you have bought this computer.

For further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us on Acer live chat by selecting the web link:http://acer--uk.custhelp.com/app/chat/chat_launch/. Chat is available during Monday-Friday: 09:00AM - 05:30PM, or e-mail or contact us on 0371 760 1000 (UK), 0818 202 210 (Eire), from Monday to Friday, between 09:00 and 06:00 PM, BST.

Regards,
    Acer Group Technical Support Team
  • JackE

>>>The outcome is not very exciting or helpful>>>

Agreed. Assuming the Samsung & Kingston eMMCs would behave similarly since they are also used in this model, you might wanna see if their responses are more exciting or helpful. 8^)

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Amolian
    Amolian Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi there.
    I have the same problem here. I just love this laptop with great battery... But i hate with all my soul Windows 10... So, No option to have Win7, Correct? 
    I tried everything, nothing works.