Acer erecovery management (v7.7.3) acer aspire 5742

Rosey
Rosey Member Posts: 22 New User

How long does it take for the 'restore operating system and retain user data' generally take?

Mines been going for just over three hours now.

the restoring system bar is 100%

the updating system bar is 99%

select restore type has a tick beside it

check password has a tick beside it (but the font isnt in bold like the others)

notice has a tick beside it

restore destination has a tick beside it

restore progress has an arrow pointing at it

the final step is 'finished' and hasnt been marked.

ive been having problems (hence the restore) and just want to check that this amount of time its taking is normal and not an indication that its not working

i appreciate any advice, but please make it as easily understood as possible lol i dont know a lot about computers.

thank you

Answers

• Rosey

It's now four and a half hours since i started the restore operating system and retain user data and the screen is exactly the same.

is there anyone who can tell me if this is normal? 

Please?

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

I have seen recovery take upwards of six hours. Best to leave overnight.

• Rosey

Thanks for replying, I really appreciate it.

its been going for 23 hours now, do you think somethings gone wrong or should i keep waiting?

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,453 Trailblazer

Keep waiting. And if it doesn't finish in the next few hours, then wait some more. Hopefully the failed Win10 installation did not corrupt the hidden Acer erecovery partition.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Rosey

Ok, thanks. I'll keep waiting. I kindve dont want to ring acer for help cause every single time ive rung them theyve told me i need to reset it to factory settings, but when ive taken it in to a shop theyve been able to fix it without doing that.

• JackE

The factory re-set they were referring to is exactly as you're trying to do from the Alt+F10 video referred to above except that you're trying to recover your data as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2xoMEPfiPQ

If you tried to install the Win10 trial version from a Microsoft download, the hidden erecovery partition is probably OK and just doing its job --- slowly but hopefully surely. 

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Rosey

It's over 32 hours now...is it still ok? 

I know you said wait and I am lol but I'm just checking that you think its still doing its job and hasn't broken down or something. 

The timer is still ticking away. 

And yes, that is how I put windows 10 on it, i just clicked on the message that came up on the (?)toolbar. So didn't think anything of it, didnt think for a second that it could damage my computer.

• JackE

You said earlier>>>the restoring system bar is 100%>>>the updating system bar is 99%>>>

Is this what you still see? Report back. At this point, Win7 might have been recovered OK but with some data loss.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Rosey

Hi, yes the screen is still exactly the same. Nothing's changed apart from the timer whcih is now 42 hours.

• JackE

OK. Are there any options that can be selected on the screen, such as cancel, OK, etc? If not, press and hold the power button till the machine shuts off --- may take 5 seconds or so. The press the power button again to try to boot into Win7 normally. Report back.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ