No sound on my Acer Aspire M5 481pt

geoffpark
geoffpark Member Posts: 8 New User

I updated the chipset, then got the audio drivers from the Acer site, didn't work. Then I got Realtek drivers from the Realtek site, still didn't work. The little speaker icon still says "No audio output device is installed." I tried the Windows 10 Audio Problems Troubleshooter, nothing too useful there.  I also checked the connections to the board, everything seems fine. When I ran the Windows Dxdiag test, it says under Sound, "No sound card was found." In Device Manager driver, it says "Device cannot start, Error Code 10", while for the "Resources" tab for it, it says:
"This device isn't using any resources because it has a problem", plus  "The installation failed because a function driver was not specified for this device instance." I'm afraid I don't even know what a function driver is.

For the Media Registry (Media    4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318)  there weren't any Lower Filters values listed, and for  "(default)" it reads "value not set." 

I also noticed under Device Managerr it reads, for 'High Definition Audio Controller', under Properties/Events: "Device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E20&SUBSYS_07131025&REV_04\3&11583659&0&D8 was migrated. Last Device Instance Id: PCI."  I don't know what that means ('migrated'?), the Audio Controller has been listed under 'System Devices' all along. 

I have spent a lot of time on this, so I'm now basically wondering if it is fact my board/cpu/whatever just failing generally, and that I should get a new machine?

Answers