Battery status issue - Aspire 7735Z.

jacksongol
jacksongol Member Posts: 7 New User

Hi - a very odd situation here.....

The laptop does not seem to recognise the correct battery status. For example, battery power icon can state: 100% charged yet when adapter cord is removed in order to run on the battery there is almost instant shutdown. On the other hand, having (presumably) charged the battery, if the adapter cord is removed whilst booting to Windows, it runs quite happily on the battery despite the power icon saying "0% remaining".

And on the other hand again, it won't cold boot without the adapter cord in. I have tried uninstalling the Microsoft ACPI-compliant Control Method Battery but no luck with that....

Maybe the wrong board to post in but could find no appropriate option for this laptop

Answers

• jacksongol

Hi - thanks

No, the battery is fine. It runs on the battery provided you whip the adadpter cord out before Windows (7) is fully loaded. The best time is when the colourd balls are spinning around.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer

>>> it won't cold boot without the adapter cord in>>>

Like starting a car, cold booting places maximum strain on the battery. If its weak, the voltage might drop too much in the initial bios stages of the cold boot process. The result, the operating system won't start running as evidenced by the "colored balls". 8^) How old is the battery BTW?

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• jacksongol

It's relatively new.

This is the history: I had not used the laptop for a couple of months. Ran it on the adapter for a while to let it charge (battery icon said 100% charged) then let it run on the battery, which instantly failed.

Bought a new battery - same thing happened. Checked a few forums - did the uninstall battery from Device Manager but no luck with that either. Then, by accident, I pulled the adapter cord out while Windows was booting up and it ran off the battery ! For an hour or so it was working fine. Tried that trick with the old battery but it didnt work with that. Tried it again with the new battery and it worked as last time. The battery icon said it was plugged in but not charging but it must have been as it ran for an hour so. Weird...... 

• JackE

>>>new battery >>>For an hour or so it was working fine>>>

What happens immediately after an hour or so on the new battery?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• jacksongol

I didn't time it exactly but after between 1 or 2 hours it ran out of juice, which is not much less than I would expect from a fully charged and properly performing battery.  

• JackE

Are there any warning messages that the battery needs to be plug in? Or does the machine just shut itself off with no warnings?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• jacksongol

No, no warnings before shutdown.

So far as the laptop is concerned, it seems to think the battery is 100% charged

• JackE

>>>So far as the laptop is concerned, it seems to think the battery is 100% charged>>>

Lithium ion batteries have a built-in chip that actually monitor and report their state-of-charge to the Windows battery charge indicator that the user sees. Either this battery chip is defective and not reporting accurately and/or the lithium ion chemistry used in the battery doesn't match what its chip monitor expects. Based on what you've tried so far and the results you've gotten, I still feel the problem is with the batteries or the monitor chip therein, not your laptop nor the operating system. Sorry.

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• jacksongol

No need for apologies - I appreciate your input. Given that the laptop misreports the status of both batteries I'm inclined to disagree with your conclusion. It seems to be a common problem according to the forums that I've visited, either cured by uninstalling/reinstalling from the Windows battery device manager or by updating the BIOS. Unfortunately, neither works for me.  But thanks......

• JackE

>>>Given that the laptop misreports the status of both batteries>>>

While I don't recommend it, you can always try to re-set your system to factory default while saving your data ***to try to*** correct the operating system  if you feel that strongly it's not the 2 batteries. However, it would probably mean having to re-install all updates. If it were mine, I'd spend $15 on trying another new battery from Amazon before getting too much deeper info trying to fix the operating system or laptop over this issue.

Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• jacksongol

Thanks - if I don't get any remedial suggestions from other forums then I expect that is what I will do.