No Sound from X34 Speakers - but headphones work

PRat
PRat Member Posts: 4 New User
edited February 14 in 2020 Archives

Have an XBox One on HDMI, Windows 10 PC with GTX970 on DP.

I get absolutely no sound through the speakers when on either input, but if I plug the headphones into the jack on the back, I'm able to get sound. I've tried turning off and on the X34, unplugging it, using the "Reset" functionality. "DTS" shows as greyed out in the OSD. If I unplug DP, it lets me "Enable" it, but when I plug in DP again, it shows as disabled.

It almost seems like it is not detecting when headphones are unplugged - I feel like I had sound from the speakers when I first set it up yesterday (purchased last week). 

Any thoughts? Sucks that in day 2 I don't have speakers.

Answers

• PRat

In case anyone was curious, Acer support has literally no idea how to resolve this. They told me to use the nonexistent AUX port and then asked me to send it in for warranty support. No other diagnostics.

[edited to comply with guidelines]

• Vandragorax
    Vandragorax Member Posts: 124 Die Hard WiFi Icon

The speaker in the X34 is pathetic anyway.  The sound comes out of the back of the monitor, so bounces off the wall and sounds awful.  You're going to be way better off getting even a cheap pair of speakers to accompany it along with your headphones, or even one of those sound bars which can be pretty good.  I know this is not a resolution to your issue, but you'll be disappointed in the sound quality anyway even if you do get it working Smiley Wink

The only thing I can suggest is perhaps having the DP and the HDMI connected at the same time is causing it to not register when a sound input is available.  Have you tried it with just one or the other at a time?

Also stupid question, but have you checked the volume level on the OSD?  Is it set at the default (70 I think) or has it somehow set itself to be 0 volume?

• Specking
    Specking Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi there too,

I got exactly the same problem as you. Sound worked when I installed the monitor, but now I only can use the sound when i plug in my headset into the monitor. So the sound is forwarded but never plays onto the intern speakers when nothing is plugged in. I cannot even turn DTS on. Seems like the monitor is always thinking that somethin is plugged in. Have you already a fix for this?

• RacingRay
    RacingRay Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have just the opposite problem, speakers work but no headphone, any ideas?
  • mr007
    mr007 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Did you ever fix this problem?
  • PRat
    @mr007 : Nope! No speakers for the life of this monitor :(
  • Youngy93
    Youngy93 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Very disappoiting for such an expensive monitir. From out of the box, the bevel on the bottom of the screen appeared to be a bit warped and didn sit against the screen properly. I don't like waste so I thought "eh, it's just cosmetic". Had issues with the G-sync working properly in games, even with all of the settings being correct and the on screen G-sync icon enabled in the nvidia control panel confirming that it was on and running in game. 

About 18 months in, the power button under the monitor stopped working properly. Some times, it wouldn't do anything. Other times, it would turn the monitor ona dn off/off and on with a single press. A few months after this problem, I went to adjust the sound level of the speakers on the monitor (speakers which I've probably used several times only, at this point) and i get a horrid, loud static noise that wouldn't stop until i turned off the monitor. Speakers haven't worked at all since this. Sounds like they're bust.

During the time that the speakers did work, the audio quality was in fact very poor, as mentioned.

Acer refuse to do anything based on the warranty due to me having bought it on an amazon account I no longer have access to so no proof of purchase and they want me to send it off via a courier that would cost £50 without even being able to get an estimated cost for repair. Couldn't even speak to customer support without the line cutting out every two seconds.

I will be going with Asus ROG or dell Alienware in future. Extremely disappointed, not only with the product, but also with customer service.