Aspire One 756 "Black Screen Of Death"

yannick
yannick Member Posts: 6 New User

Hello,

I own an Aspire One 756, and it suffers from the "Black Screen Of Death" syndrome : I left it a very - very very - long time switched of, as I didn't need it ; the battery drained off and now, it won't boot.

I tried to get the latest bios from the website, but I can't find anything that the 756 will accept : every bios I download has 2 ".fd" files, and whichever one I take and put on a FAT-formatted USB stick (renamed to BIOS.fd), when I boot with FN+ESC pressed I can see that the USB key is accessed (little light blinking on the stick), and after a few second, I get 3 long beeps and the 756 restarts and still won't boot.

My guess is I don't have the right file to put on the USB stick, but even after hours of searching the internet, I haven't found it.

Does anyone have a BIOS.fd compatible with the 756 ? Or a link to said file on the internet ?

Thanks !

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,444 Trailblazer

>>>it won't boot>>>

Other than not seeing a screen, how did you conclude that it is not booting? BTW, please do NOT try to mess with changing the BIOS before we try some other things after you answer my question.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• yannick

Hello Jack.

When I turn the power on, the green light on the power button lights up. The fan starts turning, so is the hard drive. And that's it. No ACER logo, no beep, nothing.

I haven't mess with anything yet, don't worry Smiley Happy

• JackE

Have you tried to HDMI or VGA out to a TV or external monitor yet to check if your video adapter is functioning? You may also have to toggle the external screen on and off with the Fn+F5 or Fn+F6 key combos.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• yannick

Hi Jack, sorry for the delay.

I have try that, as per your instructions, but I got nothing on the external screen. Same behavior : fan starts, hdd starts, and that's all.

• JackE

Not a good sign for the integrated video adapter on the mainboard. When you first do a cold boot, do you hear anything that may sound like beep codes coming from your bios? These bios error beeps would be heard well before the time the Acer logo screen used to appear.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• yannick

Nop, no beep. Nothing. Just the fans and the hard drive.

• JackE

OK. Turn system off. You may have to press and hold the power button for several seconds before all LEDs are off and other activity stops. Remove battery and power cable. Press and hold the power button for at least a minute. Re-insert battery and power up again. Report back.

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• yannick

Hi Jack.

No luck with that either. Once the battery is plugged back in, nothing more - nor less Smiley Happy - happens.

• JackE

Will reply shortly.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE

What was the original factory-installed operating? What is the current operating system?

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• yannick

The original OS was Windows 8, and I wiped it a while ago to replace it with Windows 7.

• JackE

The correct  bios file seems to be inside a compressed zip file BIOS_Acer_2.21_A_A.zip if you're absolutely sure that Win8 was factory-installed and not a Win8 upgrade.

At this point, I'm still a bit more concerned about the video adapter. When you upgraded to Win7 and last used it, did you leave it personalized with any kind of OS boot welcoming melody, tone or sound? Or even an exiting tone?

Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ