Microsoft says I need an Optical Drive in order to burn CD/DVDs. I have desktop Acer PC. ???

HRMc85
HRMc85 Member Posts: 4 New User

Have a lot of group materials on CD/DVDs but can'tburn anything nw via Windows 10. Tech said I need to purchase an "opticaal drive" in order to do so.  That dept. didn't name a particular optical drive. Anyone know what this is?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer

Heheh, sometimes you wonder about that level of tech support. An optical drive is one that uses a laser to read and write. CD and DVD drives are by far the most common. As long as your drive is able to write as well as read CDs and DVDs it should work. What model if drive do you have? You should be able to see in Device Manager...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • HRMc85

thanks, I'll check to verify when my tech friend comes tomorrow.  He didn't know Win 10 had this problem but I'm not the only one.

• billsey

There shouldn't be any problem writing CDs and DVDs in Windows 10. If your previous OS had some utility installed that bypassed the normal builtin software there might still be some of that hanging around that would potentially block it though. What happens when you put a blank disk in? I usually use ImgBurn myself, but I've used the OS to burn in the past also.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • HRMc85

a friend send multiple suggestions on YouTube but I haven't tried them yet. He will help me this week. All suggestions really appreciated.  I'll also check my device mgr as mentioned in previous reply.  Thank you all.

• HRMc85

I always just used my Acer with previous Windows pro. I think Microsoft warned us they were elminating some options in "10" but I'm not the only non-techie who didn't get what they meant!   The help book itself weighs about 10 lbs and a pain to get through but I must or dump "10."

• billsey

The big option they removd in W10 in regards to DVDs is video playback. They used to support playback natively, now you need an app to play videos off a DVD.

• Oliver_Powell
    Oliver_Powell Member Posts: 2 New User

To burn a CD in windows 10, you can go through - http://superuser.com/questions/955751/how-to-burn-an-audio-cd-in-windows-10 . Hope it will help you in burning the CD/DVD.

Good Luck!!!