Just got Chromebook 14. Unable to run Chromebook Recovery Utility, says "Invalid Model Number"

ednjohnson
ednjohnson Member Posts: 2 New User

Just got new Acer Chromebook 14, but am unable to make a recovery disc. When I run Chromebook Recovery Utility it says "Invalid Model Number". Is there another way to prepare a recovery disc?

Thanks

Best Answer

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator
    Answer ✓

Hi all,

I just received word that it's available.On the Chrome Recovery app, I'm able to see that it is there.

Can you please try to access the recovery and let me know if you're still having trouble?

Thanks,
    Cory

Answers

• rlruff
    rlruff Member Posts: 2 New User

I have the same issue.  I just received my cb3-431 and wanted to create a usb recovery drive.  Same message as your.  Even tried chrome://imageburner and get 

This site can’t be reached

The webpage at chrome://imageburner/ might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

Ron

• sparky3
    sparky3 Member Posts: 5 New User

Same problems.  I guess this model is too new?

• Cory-Acer
    Answer ✓

Hi all,

I just received word that it's available.On the Chrome Recovery app, I'm able to see that it is there.

Can you please try to access the recovery and let me know if you're still having trouble?

Thanks,
    Cory

• ednjohnson
    ednjohnson Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi Cory,

Thanks for letting us know. It does work and I have a recovery disc.

Again, thanks,

Ed

• sparky3

Well, the app for making the recovery USB worked.  I got an update symbol, clicked to restart and the computer died.  Dead, not even the charging light comes on.  Tried everything by talking to Acer support.  It's now a boat anchor after only 5 days.

• Cory-Acer

Thats rough sparky...

Just to put it out there, are these steps failing you? http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27646

Cory

• sparky3

Yep, did all those and more as directed by telephone support.  Checked AC power supply is working.  No charging light, just dead. Send it back.

• rlruff
    rlruff Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks Cory.  Your advice did the trick.  My new CB3-431 is humming along.

Thanks,

Ron

• Cory-Acer

rlruff wrote:

Thanks Cory.  Your advice did the trick.  My new CB3-431 is humming along.

Thanks,

Ron

Great to hear. The Chromebooks are really great machines when it comes to troubleshooting. The Chrome team does a lot to simplify the issues we've all experienced with Windows over the years.

Unfortunately, it sounds like sparky had an actual hardware issue. I'm sorry we couldn't get you fixed up.

Cory