Battery state stay at "Fully Charged" at 100% instead of "(plugged in, not charging)"

ASyS
ASyS Member Posts: 7 New User

Is this normal? I'm on an E5-474G. Does this mean that the laptop is drawing power from the battery while it is constantly being charged or it is running straight from the power adapter as in "plugged in, not charging". I have deleted most of the OEM provided programs & utility(if relevant) except for Acer Quick Access which I would've deleted if not for the power-off usb charging feature and lock-key pop-up.

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

Most laptops stop charging at 100%. Some will tell you not charging and some won't. It should drop some while you are using it and then start charging. If it stays on 100% all the time and never moves, it could be always charging.

Try in Device Manager/Batteries, right click on Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Battery Method and select uninstall.

Reboot and let Windows reinstall and see if it changes anything.

• ASyS

Well this particular model did initially shows "plugged in, not charging" when the battery is fully charged and is plugged in. I've tried your suggestion but to no avail. My primary concern would be dependence on battery even upon plugged in that may degrades the battery life over time. The battery stays at 100% all the time.

• philetus

If it is charging the power supply "Brick" will feel warm to hot. If it's not charging it will cool down.

Another way would be to use a old extension cord to plug the power supply into the wall. Cut the hot wire on the old cord and run it through the leads of a multimeter set fot the appropriate amps for your power supply. Plug in the power and see how many amps it's drawing.

or

one of these

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NWGZ4XC/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_3?pf_rd_p=1944687562&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001VGND88&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1FJ214F8TMVKA8TPVYF2

• ASyS

Let's not get to that. If Windows 10 power status do have "plugged in, not charging" status where the laptop draws power from AC and not from the battery, shouldn't it state so? All I wanted to know is if something is wrong because it used to show that it is "plugged in, not charging" whenever this laptop is fully charged. This is a concern as the battery isn't detachable in this model. I know that I can swap the battery for a new one but I'd rather not damage it in the first place.

• philetus

As long as it doesn't show that it is charging, you are probably OK. 

• ASyS

Well, I just realized that when I hover the cursor on the battery icon, there is a baloon stating "100% available(plugged in, charging)" on fully charged status. That does tell something. Can't I actually got this trivial thing solved?

• philetus

Try installing the Windows 10 power management app and see if it makes a difference. Reboot after installing.

ePowerAcerPower Management7.00.810928.3 MB2015/09/09Download