VN7-591G - Touchpad two-finger scrolling stops working intermittently after an S3(sleep) transition

jose423
jose423 Member Posts: 8 New User

BIOS: 1.15
Synaptics Driver: 19.0.7.33

I restart the sytem. At this point, the touchpad is working without issue. I then close the lid on the laptop to initiate S3(sleep). I notice on of the LEDs on the right side starts blinking. I open the lid and press the power button to resume from S3(sleep). 2 out of 4 times two-finger scrolling stops working at this point.

Is there a new driver that fixes this issue? Is there a way I can submit a ticket directly to Acer without going through chat or phone #?

Reason I am avoiding customer support: Chat representative wanted me to disable driver verificication with full assurance that this will fix my issue. Disabling driver verification is only useful when the device is not working at all. I tried it and it failed to fix the issue.

The other reason I am avoiding customer support is that the end result is very likely an RMA, which will not fix the issue.

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

If you're not upgraded to this bios, it could be the problem as this one has a fix for sleep and resume.

BIOSAcerFixed system sleep and resume issue. Optimized BIOS default setting.1.154.9 MB2015/10/21Download
  • jose423

I'm on BIOS 1.15. Issue is occurring on latest BIOS.

• philetus

You have a Precision touchpad. You can confirm this,

http://acer-in.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/33949/~/windows-8.1-touchpad-settings

If you turn it off, you should be able to configure it with Synaptics.

• jose423

Capture.PNG

Touchpad is recognized as precision touchpad by OS. However, there is no option to switch it from precision touchpad. The only options are to enable/disable different guestures such as pinch to zoom, two finger right click, etc.

• philetus

Right under "Your PC has a Precision touchpad 

" is a "switch" to turn off the precision touchpad.

• jose423

The Touchpad option turns the touchpad on/off.

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

This could be just a workaround and not a solution for your problem.

If you enable the option to disable touchpad when and external mouse is connected, and you connect a USB mouse (of course when the touchpad scrolling is not working) and then disconnect the USB mouse does the scrolling work afterwards?

I am thinking that somehow you force the windows to reload the driver. But I am not sure if this trick is working.

I have my 591G in service so I cannot test it, but for me I don't recall this happening, it is true I am rarely using sleep

• jose423

Workarounds:

- Disable/enable "HID-compliant touch pad" in Device Manager under Human Interface Devices. Works always.

- Reboot system. Works always.

- Do another S3(sleep) transition. Works sometimes.

As for the suggestion, I don't have a USB mouse to test with. I do have a bluetooth mouse. I set "Leave touchpad on when a mouse is connected" to off. I then noticed that the touchpad stopped working and bluetooth mouse continued working. I turned off the bluetooth mouse and touchpad started working. I checked that two-finger scrolling works. I closed the lid until I saw the two-finger scrolling stop working (2 tries). So I went ahead and turned on the bluetooth mouse... and the touchpad continued working. Umm, lets leave this one alone lol.

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Well, I see that you are very good at finding bugs in drivers:-)

The connection of an external USB mouse would mean that your touchpad is disabled so  probably with a USB drive the workaround would do the trick (since disabling and enabling solves the problem). I am so curious about this bug now, I cannot wait to get my 591G back from service to test it.