VN7-591g running slow

philipfemo
philipfemo Member Posts: 4 New User

Hey Guys

I've been using my laptop until now just fine (VN7-591G-78VQ)

The specs are roughly:

7i-4720HQ @ 2.60 Ghz

GTX 960M

16GB DDR4 Ram

256GB SSD

1TB HDD

So over-all should be able to do anything seamless, such as working a photoshop file.

One day i'm using my computer (through external screen too) and it starts running slowly on the photoshop file im using, fans are rather loud too (compared to usual, not full mode). I keep getting the lagg after reboots and several attempts to fix it.

I end up formatting and reinstalling windows 10 thinking, this should do it.
After format, problem is still occuring and it's driving me nuts to see laggs when editing photoshop files or even just browsing through documents or opening task manager.

I have no memory usage spikes, its a good constant 16-20% which is about normal.

CPU Spikes to around 100% but falls down rapidly (when opening task manager)

Disk usage is around fluctuates a lot and sometimes takes up 100% doing even small tasks..

I've updated ALL drivers... Intel GFX, Nvidia GFX, Bios, Qualcomm, Chipset, you name it..

At this point im desperate and have no clue where to looks for answers Smiley Sad

Hope somone can help or relate to this problem

Answers

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hi,

Did you try to figure out what causes the lag? I mean it's a CPU problem, HDD/SSD or GPU?

You can load photoshop or what software you use and experience lag and when it lags check in task manager the usage of CPU (it's 100%? and more importantly at what speed) and check the disk activity as well, and of course if the disks have high activity check what read/write speeds have. If the speed are very low could be some issue of the HDD/SSD.

If your CPU is running very slow (eg 0.78GHZ) it could be some issue with the cooling.

If everything is fine I could guess that it's some sofware issue (but GPU cannot be excluded, since I did not tell you any way to monitor it).

• philipfemo

I will do a thorough test tonight and reply you.
    Thank you for taking the time to reply though.

• philipfemo

Screenshots (imgur album) in the correct order according to the numbers below:

http://imgur.com/a/6JNaY

Okay so im doing some interesting observations here:
     - Launching the pc

- Pressing windows-tab (hard lagg spike occurs) when searching for "task"

- Opening task manager (hard lagg spike)

- Making some idle system observations

- Opening Photoshop (1st time) VERY slow CPU utilization 100%, did not cath speed.

in a period while opening task manager and idling with photoshop open:

1) Disk usage is on 100% acvitivty for 40secs (ish) during which:

- Disk transfer rate spikes between 15-100% mostly 40-100%

- Sometimes this occors for 60secs with 10-20 secs smaller

2) CPU utilization is around 1-15% where:

- at 1% speed is around 0.76ghz

- at +1% speed is < 1% for the most time but constantly dangling

Screens 1 and 2:

This may be normal, i dont know, but it's my observations while doing nothing for 5 minutes.

- Open photoshop file

3) Disk usage 100%

- Active time 100%

- Disk transfer spikes to 100% for apprx. 3 seconds

4) CPU

- Usage 7-15%

- speeds at around <2Ghz

Screens 3, 4:

- Moving selection tool around, feeling OBVIOUS lagg (highly annoying)

5) CPU no apparent trouble

6) Disk no apparent trouble

Screens 5,6:

Other observations:
    ever since the problem started occuring, my fans have been a little louder than usual. Usually when idle and doing nothing they are completely silent, now you can hear them at all time. Could also be the HDD, i can't rule that out, but it sounds like fans changing speed.

Further:
    I know my old FPS counts and what i should get for CSGO, since i formatted no games are installed, should i do a test with CSGO too?

• sharky25k

Hello,

It is really interesting. It looks like for some reason your CPU is not cooled. Even if the fans are working. Do you have dust in the fan?

Try to use HW monitor to see the temperatures. Are they always around 70-80-90 degrees? I am speaking about the CPU.

Also try notebook fan control: https://github.com/hirschmann/nbfc It has configuration for 591G. This will further increase the fan speed if you enable it but as you say it doesn't look like a problem that the fan is not spinning. I suspect that somehow the exhaust if blocked off or... could be a faulty temperature sensor? But i doubt the latter one.

• philipfemo

Hey Again,

Updated the album with screen for temperatures:

http://imgur.com/a/6JNaY

They're all looking good though....

• sharky25k

Hi,

That's something very confusing for me.

Could you check in power options --> See which is your current active power plan, and click change plan settings and then click change advanced power settings.

Here should be an option related to processor power management. Make sure that the maximum processor state is set to 100%. and cooling policy is active on both battery and plugged in.

Also make sure that your power cord is plugged in.

Next try to install Intel XTU. and please report back the multipliers set for the CPU. (should be 36x on a single core and 34 on the rest I think).

Also try to stress test the system using Intel XTU and put a picture of the chart to see how your processor speed behaves. It should start at around 3400 MHZ and then steadily decrease to around 1.7-1.8 GHZ (due to throttling issues). It is like that? Note that if you just put a picture I cannot tell you from the chart clearly since there is no reference scale bar on the y axis.

PS: XTU is a powerful tool, please don't randomly change settings in it because it can cause system instability.