Aspire ES1 512 disc drive not working

dattsbud
dattsbud Member Posts: 6 New User

I have only the had this laptop for 15 months and the first time I went to use the M-disc drive, it would not read the disc and made lots of sounds. I ejected the disc and tried a different one and this time it did not do anything at all.

I have been extremely careful with this laptop and hardly ever take it out of the house. It has never been dropped or even had a knock.

Any help appreciated!

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

The laptop came with a Mdisk compatable driveor you're trying to burn a Mdisk in the DVD drive that came in the laptop?

• dattsbud
    It's an inbuilt drive. As the info sticker says it's an "M-disc ready drive"
  • philetus

Does the drive only read Mdisks or does it read CD/DVD and do they work OK?

• dattsbud
    I don't even know what an M-disc is! It doesn't play anything. Put in 2 different music cds and a dvd and it just made weird sounds or did nothing at all.
  • philetus

Seems that the Mdisks are made of stone and garanteed to last 1000 years. I don't know why you would have a Mdisk drive if you didn't order it.

• dattsbud
    It's "mdisc ready" so I guess it's a normal drive with ability for mdisc.
    Either way of wanted a cd drive and it doesn't work at all and a out 2 months out of warranty.
  • philetus

I think you're correct that it's a regular drive. What kind of noises" From the speakers or mechanical sounds?

• dattsbud
    mechanical. Like it's trying to kick in but it's stuck. Then if I remember insert disc it doesn't make any noise. No vibrations ad says "insert disc".
  • philetus

did you push the disk all the way down over the center ring. Sometimes they can be stiff to get all the way down.

• dattsbud
    Yep. Put it in and out. Clicked into place. I've used lots of disc drives and never had this issue before
  • philetus

Go to Device Manager/DVD/CDrom drives and uninstall the drive. Reboot and let Windows reinstall the driver.

• JackD1
    JackD1 Member Posts: 1 New User

Did you end up getting your disc to work? I am having the same problem! Is brand new, like 4 days old.