S3-391 vibration on the laptop lid?

lgbalfa
lgbalfa Member Posts: 20 New User
edited March 2023 in 2016 Archives

is it normal for the back of the lid to have a slight vibration?

when i run my fingers up and down the lid i feel a slight vibration.  nothing crazy and you don't even hear it.

does not affect any performance issues.

just wondering.

thanks

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

About the only thing that could cause a vibration in an S3-391 is the mechanical HDD.Unless it gets worse or nisy, I wouldn't worry about it. 

• lgbalfa

i also noticed that you can feel the vibration where you rest your palms next to the mouse touchpad.

and the vibration only occurs when the laptop is plugged in for use.

• philetus

I have a V3-551 with a HDD under the right side of the palm rest. I tried putting my hand on it and I can feel the HDD spinning. It's so slight, you wouldn't notice it if you weren't looking for it. Is that about like your's is? 

• lgbalfa

it's on both sides and it's also on the cover / lid and you can only feel it when the laptop is plugged in.

• philetus

You can test your HDD for errors and problems

http://acer--uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11589/~/testing-the-hard-disk

1) Crystaldiskinfo - http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/index-...
    2) HD Tune - http://www.hdtune.com/

The disk in the HDD is spinning at 5400 rpm. It's making some, however slight, vibration from the movement and it's going to transfer that to the case. If it's worse than I'm thinking, you could need a new HDD. Run one of the tests, take it to someone who can tell you for sure, or contact Acer for Warranty repair.

• lgbalfa

thanks for the advice but why would it only happen when it is plugged in?

• philetus

Here's another opinion: "They are not vibrations. They are micro electro shocks. They are harmless (not enough current to electrocute you). The metal (aluminum) body is under electrical tension while charging, generally due to a faulty grounding circuit or cable, which is a very common situation in most buildings, and the electricity discharges through your body (we are decent conductors)."

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

I agree with Philetus, those "vibrations" can be related to electrical tension since it happens only when under charge.

Did you ever charged on different places (not just outlets on the same building but a different enviroment)?

Did you feel the same "vibrations"?

You can try to go to a computer shop and check if using another compatible AC charger you feel the same "vibrations"; if so, probably there is a grounding issue on your laptop and need to be serviced.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • lgbalfa
    ok problem seems to be solved which i don't know why it made a difference. the laptop was plugged in a surge protector. when i plugged the laptop directly into the wall the vibrations stopped. i appreciate everyone for their assistance. thank you!
  • william34
    william34 Member Posts: 2 New User

hi

you just need a power cord with ground PIN, you have probably remove the ground pin in your AC adapter, and also make sure that your socket, bldg. house have earth ground. that will fix your problem.

• tiffy
    tiffy Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi,

I have looked at this for a number of weeks and being an ex auto electrician I decided to try the basic things first and changed the mains cable plug to the adaptor and hey presto ....no more static vibrations ....so maybe try this first, an easy fix which worked for me.

Further to this I also noticed a problem with noise on the sound re-production and this is also cleared and working as normal.