Aspire VN7-592G lag spike & fps drops in almost every game

milad
milad Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in 2016 Archives

Hey Guys Smiley Happy

I am realy tired of lag spikes. games run smoothly but every 10 secs there comes a frustrating fps drop

This is my system:

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700HQ

GPU: Gefouce GTX 960M

RAM:16 GB

1TB HDD+256GB SSD

+ All of my drivers are updated.

++ recently I noticed when I unplugged the AC power there is less lag spike, but overall fps drops on battery.

+++ I searched and I found that some other Acer V laptops got this issue as well. it seems it's a hardware rather than software issue. 

really Acer? why do you name it a Gaming laptop while it can't play a game smoothly? and please play some games with this before relase it.

Answers

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hi,

If you searched on the internet I am quite sure that you found also the answer. It is quite simple. The FPS drop is due to thermal trotthiling, the moment when your CPU and/or your GPU reduces it's speed in order to avoid damaging the CPU or GPU. You can test if this is the case by using intel XTU and monitor your temperatures and see if your CPU trhrottles when you play a game.

Solutions? Well, a few could help but they are not easy. First try to reduce the settings for the game... Improve cooling by changing the thermal paste on your CPU and GPU. I did the latter on my 591G and man the temperature drop was amazing. I don't know what they use in the manufacturing, but for sure is not very effective at heat transfer. At least it's not toothpaste. You can also try to use a cooling pad, but I am not sure how effective it will be the latter. Also, I remember somebody here suggesting a third party application which allows you to control the fan speed manually. You can try to search it on the forum. As far as I am concerned, the fans don't crank up to 100% power even if the temperatures are at the thermal throttling level. This is probably how Acer programed the fans. I tried once at 100% and it is much more loud than the "maximum speed" at which normally the fans run when I don't use other application to control the fan speed.

• benton582
    benton582 Member Posts: 213 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

If you only updated with Acer drivers, try generic, WIPE out all the Acer drivers, but download the drivers for them first, then run the installer. Also, if thermal throttling is the problem, ELEVATE your computer at a angle so air can escape the bottom. Or do this: Go to your "High Performace Power Plan"->Change Advanced Power Options->Processor Power Management->And set Cooling policy to Active if it's not.

• milad

Tinkerer

Thanks for the soloutions.

yes it's thermal throttling.

I tried reducing the quality for achiving the performance and that worked BUT I lower the quality all the way to the lowest setting in order to get rid of the lag spikes. and that's really a pain. NBA 2k16 should be like NBA 2k6.

intel xte doesn't run for me. it's stopped working !

I bought my laptop recently and I got my warranty I can't open it up myself. maybe i bring my acer to service center.

and ThrottleStop 6 doesn't work for either becasue my skylake CPU.

I couldn't find a soild software for increasing the fan speed. What was the software that you used?

• milad

Tinkerer

Thanks.

I elevated it and I got improvments.

and yes ; Colling policy is active.

• sharky25k

Hi,

Here is the software:

https://github.com/hirschmann/nbfc/releases

I am not sure if there is profile for 592G but there is for 591G which I am using.

Be careful tho, because acer will remind you that they will not provide any support and/or warranty cover for any third part software which you use to control the fan speed.

As I highly suggest, changing the thermal paste will improve much more the eficiency than any other options. I know from personal experience, and while I still have warranty for my notebook I couldn't stand it to see throttling so much. To give you a view how much my notebook was throttling, for example running AIDA64 stress test on GPU and CPU I had max temperatures, and the CPU at around 1.6 GHZ on all the 4 cores. (after 10 minutes of running). Now, I can maintain almost always 2.5-2.6 GHZ in stress test on the CPU and the GPU never throttles. This is a huge impovement in performance, of course still my temperatures are at maximum. If I use the software above, I was even able to get around 2.9, 3 GHZ in the stress tests. Also, I always have my notebook on a cooling pad even if I am doing light work. Generally I don't play games on it, but I need the performance for other activities.

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

Hi all,

Hopefully this info is helpful. There is a Coolboost application on Nitro Black editions. It provides better fan speeds and cooling. Here are a couple FAQs.

What are the differences between the Acer Aspire V Nitro and Aspire V Nitro Black Edition

Enabling Acer Coolboost

Thanks,
    Cory

• sharky25k

Acer-Cory wrote:

Hi all,

Hopefully this info is helpful. There is a Coolboost application on Nitro Black editions. It provides better fan speeds and cooling. Here are a couple FAQs.

What are the differences between the Acer Aspire V Nitro and Aspire V Nitro Black Edition

Enabling Acer Coolboost

Thanks,
    Cory

Hello,

I am sorry but your reply is quite confusing for me. I tried to install acer utilities and I never had coolboost. I think is a feature just for Nitro 79x models not 59x. If somebody managed to have coolboost on the 59x (eg 591G) I would be very greatful to tell me how they managed to install it.

So the advertise is quite false, not all black nitro have coolboost, or am I wrong?

• milad

Tinkerer

I got to say this laptop is **bleep**; after almost 1 year performance of previous games are half , and laptop keep shutdowns automaticaly , I never buy any acer again and I will advice everybody not to buy any acer product ,

my previous laptop ASUS was way better with a lower-end cpu and gpu in case of ergonomy and thermal and cooling and keeping up performance.

[inappropriate content removed]

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder

Download HWiNFO and run the temperature sensors, while playing a game or running a stress test. Then send a screenshot. A reason for your performance drop could be that the laptop is throttling.

Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!