Black screen in Acer Aspire V5-122P after installed Windows 10

redsheila
redsheila Member Posts: 3 New User

My Acer Aspire V5 had Windows 8.1 I installed Windows 10 and all seemed fine until Acer said I needed new driver updates. After doing them the computer will not boot past the screen with the Acer logo. After that the screen goes black. I have been told to uninstall the driver, can't get in to do that. Been told to go back to Windows 8.1, can't get in to do that. One person hooked hers to another monitor and could see to do those, I don't have HDMI ports or a disk drive, I just have USB ports. I have shut it off and on many times, still no luck getting to a useable screen. Control alt delete does nothing. I was told to hit the space bar then type in my password and it should go in, did that too, no luck. How can this update cause so many issues? Can anyone help please? I do not have the money to go to a repair tech. Thank you in advance for any help.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

try this: at boot press ALT+F10 this will start Acer/windows recovery. From the Recovery screen Click on Troubleshoot. Click on Advanced Options. Click on Startup Settings. Click on Restart. The PC will now reboot to the Startup Settings screen. Press 4 to Enable Safe Mode as prompted. once in Safe mode, go to Device manager, click on Display adapters, right click on your VGA and choose uninstall(tick to uninstall software too).

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • redsheila

I forgot to mention I had already tried that. Restart was it available, just refresh and reset. Refresh didn't work, said, The drive where Windows is located is locked. Unlock the drive and try again. Wouldn't let me unlock. Then rest said, Unable to reset your PC. A required drive partition is missing. So unfortunately I could not put in safe mode either.

• IronFly

enter BIOS pressing F2, check if HDD password is set to frozen.

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/32674/~/bios-password-frozen

if you need to reset/refresh try also with a windows 10 bootable media:

http://community.acer.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Windows-10-Installation-Recovery-Media-Creation-and-Use/ta-p/394236

• redsheila

Tthe password is still frozen. The reset/refresh won't work. I think I'm going to have to break down and pay someone. All of the suggestions are great, just none seem to be working.

• IronFly

you need to clear that frozen status or you will not able to gain access to your HDD.

try this.

enter BIOS

set supervisor password

press F10 to save and exit

enter BIOS again

clear HDD password

clear supervisor password

F10 save and exit

enter BIOS again

and check if HDD password is clear

if not, can be an HDD issue.