The screen on my cb3 111 cracked over night.

Jk2l
Jk2l Member Posts: 4 New User

I turned off the machine and put it  on the shelf.  When I woke up the next morning,  the screen was cracked  and only one side turned on.  I purchased it new  this past September because I loved my c720 so much..  How can I get this  fixed?

Answers

• Hello,

As your laptop is still under warranty, I suggest you to contact your Acer service customer or your reseller.

France
  • avasherr
    avasherr Member Posts: 2 New User

I'm 47 years old, I put my shoes back in their boxes with shoe horns when I finish wearing them.  I got up to go get a cup of coffee Saturday night, sat my

CB3-111-C670-US CHROME4222308U 001.JPG

CB3111 down to go get a cup of coffee, came back and it had a weird "Shot" looking thing on the screen, but itwas still smooth.    I freaked out.  Mailed it in to Acer $18, for that, and got a message back just now saying it IS NOT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY.  I do not tear up cell phones, computers, washing machines, microwaves, NOTHING....I am EVEN LEFT HANDED...I am livid. I only paid $99 for this little bugger, and just tried to call to find out how much they will charge me to repair it....they are closed at 4:30 CST....it's now 6:17 p.m. sothat call will wait til tomorrow.  This will be my first and last toy from ACER.  I have 2 HPs and wanted someting small for in bed....I've had this thing 8 weeks Smiley Sad I am NOT HAPPY in the least. HOW could a warranty NOT cover this.  there is no hole, no puncture, no scratches, it wasn't dropped, I didn't poke   it....GRRRR   Sherr

• Jk2l

I recieved the same responce from Acer. And they wanted $120 to fox the screen. As I paid $112 for the machine, i was not about to spend more to repair the screen. 

On the upside, Amazon sells replacement lcd screens for about $40. If that helps. I still love my little chromebooks, (I have two) but the customer service side is severely lacking, to say the least.

I hope the tip on Amazon helps.

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

Hi all,

I understand that situations like this are frustrating, and no one wants to come out of pocket for expenses. I can also assure you that Acer doesn't look forward these situations ourselves, we aren't making anyone happy when we have to inform you of charges that you weren't expecting.

The limited warranty covers manufacture defects, however, in case of the picture @avasherr provided, the big black area is where some impact occurred. From there you an see that it sort of spidered in many directions, sort of like a car windshield.  I understand the statement that you take care of your items, and I certainly can't tell you exactly how this occurred, but I am confident that the LCD (which is liquid crystal display layer, and one of several) was damaged. This doesn't happen without some sort of outside force causing it and why we do not consider it a manufacturer defect. Since this is not a manufacturer defect, the warranty is not able to cover the repair.

I'm apologize for the unfortunate circumstances, and while this isn't immediate relief, I hope the perspective I'm able to provide helps in some way. From our repair center, they work to make contact with you and iron out any details before performing any actions that may result in charges. If you decide that you don't want to pay for the work to be done by us, they ship it back at our expense and we don't charge any type of diagnosis fees.

Cory

• Jk2l
    I had the same problem with my screen. And barring any gremlins, leprechauns or other mythical creatures, I can honestly say there was no type of impact or pressure applied. I closed my unit and placed it on my shelf. When I woke up in the morning, the screen was broken. So I do feel there maybe a manufacturer error( overtightened screws or something).

I can accept that Acer does not cover this under warranty. However to say there was a problem on my end is false. And to charge $120 to repair a $40 part on a machine that was purchased for $100 is a problem.

I have taken it upon myself to make the repair, saving $80. But this maybe an issue Acer needs to look into.

Thanks.
  • avasherr
    avasherr Member Posts: 2 New User

I am with jk21, I am a (retired due to illness) Corp. sales & marketing rep from the software & electronics industry, while I'm no tech-geek per-say, I AM 47 years old and I've never broken a company Dell or my personal computers,latops or tablets at home, HP brand...of which I have 3 currently.   My elderly parents thought buying this Acer for when I am in the hospital (I'm gravely ill and in the hospital a lot from now on) in case it were to be stolen, I'd not lose one of my beloved HPs.  I got the Acer for Christmas, and have used it less than 5 times.  I am scheduled back to the hospital tomorrow, which would be the 6th time.  I was looking at Pinterest from my sickbed, placed in on a pillow, got up to get a bottled water, came back to it looking just like the photo I provided.  I even took a picture right up against the screen to show the screen wasn't punctured, which I still have.  I don't break things, and to find it looking like someone shot it in a drive by was very upsetting to me.  It is made of very VERY flimsy plastic, and I didn't know until the ADMIN explained there is a pane of glass or the LCD Screen inside this super thin plastic, which is nothing more than wrapping a piece of glass in a bathtowel, if I am understanding the concept correctly.  I am, as I said before, LEFT HANDED, and I do not break things, ever.  Now,if my 26 year old were not married and living hours away, I would say with honesty, he could have broken it...He's young and until he married last year, BROKE EVERYTHING he owned.  He's almost 7 feet tall and very clumbsy.  I am the MOM that did without as he was growing up so that I could buy him new computers, laptops, cell phones, mp3 players, shoes, underwear, jeans....etc. etc. ALL of which he seems to wear out or break at record speed.  I mailed it in to ACER, spending $20, received the email saying screens are not covered, called them, found out they close at 4:30 CST, called back the next morning and the woman did tell me it was $119 to repair.  INSANE.  I am not as young and definitely not as resourcesful as Jk21, and I know had I just had it mailed back it would probably never be repaired, but I told her it is RIDICULOUS to charge someone MORE than the price of a new one...(WHO would do that? I mean REALLY!) So she told me it would be $75.  And I told her exactly what I thought about ACER and their workmanship.  I did pay via credit card, the $75 and SUPRISE, it was repaired and back into shipment in 2 hours......  I will blog and urge everyone I know NOT to buy ACER products, and one place that I created, ironically about criminals and crime news, gets 150,000 hits a week, so hopefully I can spare someone else that would not have the money to repair something so poorly made to begin with.  I'll urge everyone to spend the extra money on HP products.  She also wanted me to spend (I believe) $189 for a 3 year warranty...... WHO would sink $500 into something not worth $5.00?????    You guys got us...the two elderly people and the sick middle aged gal.  I'll be taking my HP ENVY to the hospital with me tomorrow...and a sling shot, in case someone tries to steal it I guess....because the OFFICIAL ACER PAPERWEIGHT will not be used ever again by Me.    

FIRST, LAST & ONLY-TIME SUCKER OF ACER PRODUCTS
    AvaSherr