Acer Aspire S3-391 iSSD board replacement

RomanBradiak
RomanBradiak Member Posts: 3 New User

Hello,

I recently bought a faulty Acer S3-391, that I wanted to fix. The problem was with the iSSD board, as soon as you turned the PC on, the board started overheating, one of the chips was faulty, from measuring the heat, I guess it was either power regulating chip, or the ssd controller chip, the device turned off after about 30-60 seconds after that.

Since the price of this board is aproximatelly as high as an entire functional laptop, I dediced not to buy this one, but the similiar one, that had a mSATA slot and integrated wifi, otherwise it looked the same, connectors were also the same and it fitted the notebook nicely, everything went smooth, but I encountered a problem when I turned on the laptop. the battery wasnt charging.

I measured the voltages on the battery and of the three cells, each had 0.8V, which means about 2.4V together, missing 8V for total 11.1V as the battery specs say so.

I left it recharge over 24hours, but nothing happened, any ideas?

Thanks

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

Was it charging before you replaced the "iSSD board"? If it was, then the board is the problem.

Maybe the "wrong" board is causing something to get crossed or shorted.

• RomanBradiak

Hey,

well, that could hardly be tested, since with the original board the system turned off in aproximatelly 1 minute due to board overheat.

But I was testing it a bit further during the weekend.

The battery behaves as its offline, I have read few topics about it. That is possible due to the battery being not in use for about a half year. When I measured it, during charging, the battery has steady 11V, but as soon as I unplug the adaptor, it falls to the 0.8V in less then 2 minutes. Since it doesnt want to hold the charge I guess its dead and needs to be replaced, altho I have read few suggestions to jump start it, by giving it 40V for few nano seconds, but I am not sure if I have the correct equipment for that.

Any idead how I could revive it? I already established, that the battery is working, and it is being charged, it just behaves as its offline.

Thanks

• philetus

You said above "the battery wasnt charging" and "I left it recharge over 24hours, but nothing happened".

"during charging, the battery has steady 11V" you're reading the power supply.

In your reply here you said " Since it doesnt want to hold the charge I guess its dead and needs to be replaced" and then "I already established, that the battery is working".

I can't help you because you're not making any sense.

• RomanBradiak

Well, in Windows, the battery showed the charging icon, even said it was charging, but it was still on 0%, no matter how long it was charging.

During measurements, when it was still showing 0%, the battery had the 11V.

As soon as the adaptor was unplugged and the device instantly turned off, the 11V fell to 2.4 in a few seconds, that was the discharging part.

The thing is, it behaves like its charging, everything works as its supposed to, only the battery doesnt know what to do.

• philetus

If it says it's charging, but the battery isn't taking a charge, I would buy a new battery.