mic is not working on Aspire R14 R5-471T

kimoh
kimoh Member Posts: 13 New User

I'm trying to set up the mic configuration on Windows 10 but all my trials have failed, all recorders can't detect any sound like the mic doesn't exist. I hope it is bad configuration/driver.

I have already installed the latest driver from Acer website.

I will be very sad if the mic is dead out of the box on this unit Smiley Sad

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

Go to recording devices, right click on the mic and see if it says enable.

Highlight the mic and click "Set Default".

Download this driver and extract to a new folder on the desktop.

AudioRealtekAudio Driver6.0.1.7455348.0 MB2015/04/28Download

Go to Device Manager/Audio inputs and outputs/ uninstall high defination speakers.

Open new driver folder and click install/ Don't reboot.

Double click PCEE4 and double click DolbyHomeTheater.

Reboot.

• jimmiev
    jimmiev Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter

try using slimdrivers off net free download it will detect any outdated drivers and give u new ones it might work

• kimoh

driver installed fine but still mic is not working

• philetus

This is new and first setup? Another R5-471T owner said he has the same problem, but he put in another HDD and did a clean install of Win 10 and the mic worked.

I would try a Refresh Windows 10/without affecting your files in Recovery or even a full recovery if you don't need to save anything and see if that fixes it.

• kimoh

I didn't check if the mic was working when I received the laptop or not as once I received it, I went to reinstall windows 7, then I couldn't find drivers so I re-installed again the windows 10, it is retail copy not from acer recovery.

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

Why would you use a retail copy when you could just download it for free?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If you didn't create recovery media before hand, you can call Acer and pay for the recovery media or order it.

https://store.acer.com/en-us/extended/recovery/

You can try to reset to factory condition but not sure if you've messed up the recovery or not.  I suspect you probably did.

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29934/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDU4NTM5MjM3L3NpZC93Zm1XYl9MbQ%3D%3D

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • kimoh

Recovery media is already messed up and ordering the recovery the media is not a choice for me too as I'm not in the US at the moment.

I doubt the mic itself has a hardware defect because the driver should work fine. Is ther a FN key or a specific button which disables the mic?

btw I got this laptop refurbished from Acer recertified store on Ebay which should be an official recertertified store for Acer products, it is the first refurbished piece I ever got, and I guess I got an unlucky unit and so far I'm not impressed by the re-certification process.

• JordanB

I'm not quite sure I follow you.  You bought the unit with Windows 10.  You installed Windows 7 and messed it up.  Now you can't get back to factory default Windows 10 w/Acer drivers because you didn't create a recovery drive and you messed up the recovery partition.

Now you need the drivers to get everything working.

1. Reset the computer to default..

2.  Install all of the drivers from here.

3.  If you still can't get it to work, call Acer in whatever country that you're in and I'm sure if you have a credit card, they can send you the recovery media.

4.  If you want to try this free recovery method, it's worth a shot....but probably a long shot.

When I evaluated the R5-471T, it was the best mic I've ever used.

• JordanB

When you get the recovery media from Acer, make sure you go in to BIOS settings and load the defaults (F9) and then save/exit (F10).  Because I know that the only way you were able to get Windows 7 installed in the first place was playing around with the BIOS settings..i.e. disabling secure boot.....and probably put it in legacy mode.

Altering BIOS settings and using a different OS is for intermediate to advanced users only.

• kimoh

but everything is working fine, it is only the mic, I don't have problem with the windows.

And windows 10 picked all the drivers automatically during installation.

I installed windows 10 using legacy mode, would that have an effect compared to uefi?

- also this unit comes with 2 mic, so I wonder if both mic's are defects?

• philetus

Reinstall it in uefi and see. It was designed to run in uefi.

• kimoh

if I set it to UEFI in bios, it can't detect any bootable devices.

• philetus

Is your Win 10 disk 32 or 64 bit?

Download Rufus  https://rufus.akeo.ie/

use a 8GB usb drive.

Put windows 10 disk in DVD 

Click where Rufus says FreeDOS and find Win 10.

Run Rufus.

This should install fine

2016-03-21_0936.jpg

• kimoh

I installed succesfully windows 7 and all drivers installed fine but still the mic is not working so it is not windows 10 driver issue so that confirms the mic is hardware broken or acer is using a secret driver for their mic? Smiley Sad

• philetus

The mic is probably defective. I would just get a USB mic. Search Amazon. There are a lot of them, cheap and expensive.

• JordanB

Sometimes the hardware will not work as you expect when the UEFI/BIOS is in legacy mode......on some models.

I doubt if the R5-47T was ever designed to run Windows in legacy mode. 

There's absolutely no reason why you should install Windows in legacy mode in 2016.

http://community.acer.com/t5/S-and-R-Series-Laptops/Acer-R14-R3-471-drivers/td-p/410381

• kimoh

I was already in the process of reinstallong windows 10 under uefi mode, but no chance, still the mic doesn't detect any voice, windows install the drivers for it but speech recognition records nothing so I guess this specific refurbished unit sent back to this defect and Acer didn't fix it and I was already prepared that I may have something bad but I also read that there is even recertified products better than new so guess I was unlucky. The Acer recertified store offered a full refund but I can't send the unit back as the shipping cost doesn't worth it. So I'm going to use it like that and call it a day.

Thanks guys for your help.

• philetus

This Priority mail game box is perfect for sending a laptop and cost $17 to ship. With $200 insyrance its around $20 to ship.

https://store.usps.com/store/browse/productDetailSingleSku.jsp?productId=P_GB_FRB

• kimoh

I'm shipping from Egypt, it is around $120 Smiley Happy

• philetus

1: The Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool is not compatible with USB 3.0. To create a USB stick that is compatible with USB 3.0 using the native boot experience of the Windows 10 Technical Preview media (or Windows 8/Windows 8.1), use DiskPart to format the USB stick and set the partition to active, then copy all of the files from inside the ISO to the USB stick.

2: UEFI (CSM disabled) requires the USB stick to be formatted FAT32. If your stick is formatted NTFS, it would explain the behavior you have described.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

Maybe the problem is your usb ports are all 3.0.