Acer Aspire One D255 Windows 10 compatible?

des09
des09 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

I have a Acer Aspire One D255, and would like to know if its likely to be Windows 10 compatible.

I have been through numerous websites seeking advice but they all just include the standard microsoft release. "use the button that displays at bottom of screen"

As you can imagine that button hasn't appeared on my screen.

Surely here on the Acer web site there can be a definitive list by now of which systems will be compatible?

Any help would be appreciated, obviously I assume meanwhile that its not compatible. which of course leaves me with a decision whether to uopgrade to a more up to date laptop. based on this level of support it wouldnt be Acer !

[subject line edited to reflect new topic]

Best Answer

• Meshkalina
    Meshkalina Member Posts: 2 New User
    Answer ✓

des09 ha escrito:
    Thanks for this, have you got details of the RAM that fits the D255? Thanks in advance.

PC3 10600 or 1333mhz

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

I just installed a 2GB DDR3 PC10600 - 1333mhz memory, a SSD (Kingston V300 120GB SATA III, working at system SATA II speed) and Windows 10. Even with no UEFI support, the machine boots in 15 sec. Basic task are really fast. In video or live streaming it could be some lag but is normal cause its weak GMA vintegrated video.

But is some improve I can try now. Windows version I installed was 64 bits. Is known that 64 bits systems needs at least 4GB to run fluenty. So I'm going to install W10 32 bits and male the system more stable but that CPU bottleneck.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer

IIRC the biggest issue with Windows 8/8.1 on your netbook was screen resolution, they didn't support resolutions below 1024x768 and yours is 1024x600. I believe that has changed for 10, so it likely will work. Speed won't be good, the combination of the early Atom CPU and only 1GB of RAM is going to be right at the bottom of spec for Windows 10. If you have been doing Windows updates regularly and Microsoft hasn't seen fit to show the icon in your notification area then there are probably driver issues.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • des09

Tinkerer

Many thanks for a reply. It's good to get some feedback at least. I must admit I won't be too concerned if it's not compatible as I've since migrated to more useful tablet devices. This thing was always a bit of a mistake, especially with the annoyingly useless android bolt on. But as I use it for the occasional larger screen benefit and printer link, it would be good to have the benefit of latest MS. It still raises the question of why Acer at least can't provide a definitive list. After all there must be many other idiots like me that bought one? Thanks again

• des09

Tinkerer

Sorry quick addition, yes I do every update going. So that's not the issue, probably the other things you point out.

• des09

Tinkerer

Must say this is the most laid back forum I've come across.

Assuming readers are into computers generally, again assuming they want the latest version of OS and once again assuming other idiots like me bought an Aspire one, why does nobody care or know the direction Acer is taking with this release?

With any other product (eg android tablets) the web is inundated with owners chasing up the availability of the next release.

While I appreciate the one and only response I've received, doesn't Acer technical support read these???

Fortunately my Acer is a secondary device to me, but I'll never buy another one that I depend on.

• ElizabethS
    ElizabethS Member Posts: 845 Practitioner WiFi Icon

This is a peer to peer support forum, and is not monitored by Acer for technical issues or requests for assistance.

• Meshkalina

A little late but hope it will help somebody.

@des09

http://answers.microsoft.com/es-es/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_install/instalar-en-un-netbook/6025dcce-df18-4233-ab81-58b9c80ea426?auth=1

It appears to work right on Win10

And RAM can be upgraded to 2GB and we can always put a SSD drive to it (not UEFI support but...).

It can upgrade Win 10 32 bits + 2GB RAM DDR3 and a SSD SATA drive.

I'm going to try this update soon. Wait my review.

• des09

Tinkerer

Many thanks for the response. There is life out there.

I basically gave up on getting information as the Aspire was not my computer of choice anyway.

But along came Microsoft and the much anticipated invite to upgrade appeared on my system.

So I took the risk and upgraded. Basically no problems!!!!!  It all works, but VERY slow.

Frankly its all been a waste of time, in its current format and performance it's all really pointless..... no touch screen etc.

Despite this I use it and my next background task is to get rid of the android interface. I am a great fan of android but in the provided version it's an embarrassment and keeps popping up. I'm sure it's also using system resources.

Despite all this complaining, thanks for the response.

• Al-pal
    Al-pal Member Posts: 2 New User

I updated my D255 about 3 months ago.  I had already updated to 2gb of RAM.

Massive improvement on Windows 7 Starter.  Only hassle is Windows automatic updating with Win 10, but that affects every Win 10 computer.

In short, love it.  Gave the D255 a new lease of life.

• des09

Tinkerer

Thanks for this, have you got details of the RAM that fits the D255? Thanks in advance.
  • Meshkalina
    Answer ✓

des09 ha escrito:

PC3 10600 or 1333mhz

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

I just installed a 2GB DDR3 PC10600 - 1333mhz memory, a SSD (Kingston V300 120GB SATA III, working at system SATA II speed) and Windows 10. Even with no UEFI support, the machine boots in 15 sec. Basic task are really fast. In video or live streaming it could be some lag but is normal cause its weak GMA vintegrated video.

But is some improve I can try now. Windows version I installed was 64 bits. Is known that 64 bits systems needs at least 4GB to run fluenty. So I'm going to install W10 32 bits and male the system more stable but that CPU bottleneck.

• Al-pal
    Al-pal Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi des09.  I followed a youtube guide to adding RAM to the D255E which is fairly lengthy but logical.

RAM is DDR3 SDRAM  on a small (approx 7cm) memory card. I just removed the 1GB card and replaced with two 1GB cards that I had laying around.