Acer Aspire R-13 Windows 10 "safely remove hardware and eject media" doesn't work first time.

bhlt917
bhlt917 Member Posts: 3 New User

Acer Aspire R-13 Windows 10 "safely remove hardware and eject media" doesn't work first time.

Every time I try to "safely remove hardware and eject media" I get the error saying:

Windows is unable to stop the device (device name). Don't remove this device while it is still in use. Close any programs using this device and then remove it.

But the second time I issue the command, it shows it is safe to remove.

I have confirmed that nothing is writing to the device and no files are open on the device.  It always gives me that error the first try, and then is successful on the second try.

I have tested it and get the same results on all three USB Ports, and the card reader. I have tried multiple USB devices and SD Cards, and get the same results.

I'm fairly tech savvy, but this one has me stumped.  I am sure it's probably something simple that I have overlooked, but it's still an annoyance.  Any help would be appreciated.

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

I get that sometimes when I close the file and immediately try to eject a flash drive. Wait a min and it works. Some SSDs occasionly won't  stop and I have to shut down to remove them from USB. I think it's just a quirk.

• bhlt917
    bhlt917 Member Posts: 3 New User

Thank you, but unfortunately that is not my case.  I have confirmed that there are no data files being written, no files opened, and no activity on the devices.  I can leave it for 20 minutes with no activity.  But the first attempt to safely remove gives me the error, and the subsequent (immediately following the first) is successful.  Very strange indeed!  And it happens with all three of my USB Ports and the media reader.

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

Have you checked in Device Manager for any exclamation marks in USB controllers?