Best stylus or pen for aspire R14(r3-471t)?

kiraMattu
kiraMattu Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2016 Archives

hello~Cat Indifferent

so i'm studying digital painting and i need to use a pen or a stylus often

i bought acer's aspire r14 which supports using a pen or a stylus but i really don't know which one works better

so if you have any idea please help

thank you.

Best Answer

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

Go on Amazon.com and search for active stylus. I would look at the ones with the most reviews and the highest 5 star ratings percentage.

Read the reviews from the people who purchased and used them.

Anything else is just an opinion from one person or two.

Answers

• philetus
    Answer ✓

Go on Amazon.com and search for active stylus. I would look at the ones with the most reviews and the highest 5 star ratings percentage.

Read the reviews from the people who purchased and used them.

Anything else is just an opinion from one person or two.

• Henaway
    Henaway Member Posts: 8 New User

The R14, from everything I have found/can find about it ... including ownership, is that it does not support active/pressure sensitive/Wacom-style pens. The best you will get is the passive rubber tipped stylus that's little more than a thin finger.  To get the kind of active digitizer you'd want for on-screen artwork, you're going to be looking at something like a Surface Pro/Surface Book with the Surface Pen. It's fantastic, but you'll be paying three times the price too. 

I'm still using my Ugee M708 graphics tablet for artwork with the R14.  It works just fine ... just doesn't give that Cintiq style on-screen drawing it sounds like you're looking for.  

If you can find a pressure-sensitive pen that works with ANY touch screen computer, please share a link to it!  I'd love to get my hands on that myself.

• philetus

I was going by this:

Screen TypeActive Matrix TFT LCD

http://laptopsuggest.com/reviews/acer-aspire-r14-r3-471t-77ht

• Henaway
    Henaway Member Posts: 8 New User

That's the panel type, which is different than the digitizer.  There are still very few systems available that have a Wacom-style active digitizer for use with a stylus. All of them that I've been able to find are high-end, and expensive.  

Because it's still relatively uncommon tech, it's also relatively pricey. That's why the Cintiq displays are so pricey vs. a standard touch screen monitor.  Easy mistake to make!

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

Ok guys/gals....

I know nothing about stylus or pens for a notebook.  I've never even used one.

What did you all agree is the correct type for an R3-471T ???

@Henaway

I don't know if it matters but the R5-471T uses an IPS panel that I don't think is the same as what R3-471T uses.

@Philetus

Does it take "Active" or "non-active"?  I noticed Acer-Justin said the R3-131T uses a non-active.  And I never understood why.

http://community.acer.com/t5/S-and-R-Series-Laptops/Can-anyone-advise-on-the-stlus-type-I-need-for-Axer-Aspire-R11/m-p/402794

Again, I'm completely clueless about what type it would take.  Active?  Or non-active?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • philetus

"the R3-131T uses a non-active.  And I never understood why." My guess would be cost. The R3-131T is a pretty inexpensive laptop.It has a "poor TN display". "Active matrix is a lot more expensive, and because of manufacturing issues, is also typically in short supply".

Active-matrix display :

An active-matrix display, also known as a TFT (thin-film transistor) display, uses a separate transistor to apply charges to each liquid crystal cell and thus displays high-quality color that is viewable from all angles.

Passive-matrix display :

A passive-matrix display uses fewer transistors, requires less power, and is less expensive than an active-matrix display. The color on a passive-matrix display often is not as bright as an active-matrix display. Users view images on a passive-matrix display best when working directly in front of it.

• CaptCoz
    CaptCoz Member Posts: 1 New User
    I can tell you the Bamboo pens from Wacom DO NOT work on th Acer R14. While those pens have both AES and EMR mode to support Ink, they don't pair properly on the R14, updating with the current drivers results in a warning that a "Supported Tablet is not found on the system"... and you won't get it to function in any way. As further proof (for those who consider this an "opinion"), please refer to this Wacom link that does NOT show the Acer as a supported/tested device. http://www.wacom.com/en-hk/comp Save $70 and aggrevation - ignore the sales person - Bamboo is NOT an option! I haven't found the right answer, but hopefully this will spare others the time & frustration. If anyone has found one that works, please post!