poor screen quality on second screen

brettvr
brettvr Member Posts: 7 New User

Good day

I have a Acer Aspire R13 running windows 8.1 Pro

When I add a second screen the screen quality is very bad.  I have tried all the settings on the second screen as well as the graphics properties on the PC, but the problem is still there.  When one of my friends connect with his Lenovo then the screen quality is good. 

Any advice on how to solve this or is this due to a poor sreen card.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

since it's an HDMI connection, the only thing that can create a bad image is screen resolution or refresh rate, both can be set using graphic settings.

i would reconnect to your friend laptop, check the resolution and refresh rate settings and check if are the same on your R13.

can you please post the complete model?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • brettvr

The machine is a R7 Series.  R7-371T-7783

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

And the monitor (make/model) it is connected to and the screen resolution setting ? I have also had issues with some HDMI cales. Have you tried a second cable ? I have used up to three external monitors on both a R3 and R5 @ 1920x1080 with no problems.

• brettvr
    Have not tried another HDMI cable although my friend used that HDMI cable with his Lenovo without any issues.
    Can it be a issue with Win 8?
  • IronFly

in my opinion can be only a wrong resolution or refresh rate.

• brettvr

I tried another screen with another HDMI cable and it did not solve the problem.  What I did realise is if I duplicate the screen then the clarity is correct.  As soon as I make it Extended, so to use both screens, then the clarity is gone. 

I have tried every possible resolution and it did not resolve the issue.  :-( 

• IronFly

ah ok

can you please report the Intel VGA drivers version installed?

windows logo key + x

Device manager

graphic adapter

double click on Intel VGA

click on Driver tab

• brettvr

Hi There

Driver Version 10.18.10.3939

Driver Date 2014-08-08

File Version 3.4.0

• IronFly

Can you try to update to this version?

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24973/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-8-1-64-bit?v=t

if you have Acer version installed, please first uninstall it from Device manager, right click the Intel VGA driver and choose to uninstall, tick to uninstall software too if prompted.

• brettvr

Good day, I uninstalled the driver, downloaded the files and run the exe file.  After completion I get a error which says, This Computer does not meet the minimum requirments for installing software. :-(

• brettvr

Hi There, now I have a different error message:  This installation package is not supported by this processor type.  :-(

• IronFly

have you downloaded the correct version?

must match OS version

32 bit

64 bit

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

A few months ago after a driver update the external monitor changed from 1920x1080x60hz to 1920x1080x59hz and nothing looked right until I changed back to 60hz.