Correct driver for SATA system in Aspire ES1-512 for windows 10

markusdark
markusdark Member Posts: 7 New User

Hello,

My system almost always shows a Disk usage of 100% - with the program 'hog' showing anywhere from 1.6MB/s to 26 MB/s.   After a lot of searching and attempts at making this go away, I have found out that it seems that the "microsoft storage spaces controller" is a generic controller for my hard drive transfer of data (as you can tell I'm not very computer saavy).  It suggested that I install the latest drivers from my computer's manufacturer and use ones tailored to the motherboard I have.

I had downloaded and installed all of the lastest drivers and BIOS and installed them but still my Disk Usage is 100% and when I go into my Device Manager, it shows that my "Storage Controllers" is the "Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller".

Is there a way for me to install a better driver?

Thank you.

Mark

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/it/download/25165/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-RAID-Driver?v=t

Download setupRST.zip, unzip it and run the exe.

if your system has RAID this is what you need.

about 100% disk usage, have you any antivirus installed?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • markusdark

I use Windows Defender but the antivirus never seems to hog that much memory.

I guess I don't have a RAID system as when I try to run this program, it says "This platform is not supported".

Like I said, I don't know the lingo well so I guess it's just a SATA or ATA connection/driver?

• IronFly

yes, you only have a SATA connection and no RAID array.

Windows Defender is good.

looking at Task manager, more details, click on Disk column, check if you are able to recognise who is using the HDD at 100%

• markusdark

I do know the programs and if I stop them, the disk usage drops down to lower levels..  This often happens with either downloads or with online games or even flash games on facebook.  I know a lot of data transfers back and forth from the HD during this and maybe it is just not set up to handle such work.  But I was hoping there was a more specific driver that I could install to replace the MS one that I read about.

• IronFly
  • markusdark

No Bueno Smiley Wink  States system doesn't meet minimum requirements to support it.

• IronFly

Nothing else to suggest, apart doing a windows refresh and check if this can fix your 100% Disk Usage.