Could a laptop reset to factory image after upgrade to Windows 10?

healer
healer Member Posts: 31 Die Hard WiFi Icon
edited March 2023 in 2016 Archives

I have a laptop Aspire E1-531 that came with Windows 8.

A few months ago I upgraded it to Windows 10.  For some reason I would like to restore it back to Windows 8.  I wonder if the hidden image of the factory default operating system would still be left intact after the Windows 10 upgrade.  I press Alt-F10 to get to the screen where I suppose to be able to restore the system back to Windows 8.  I am not too sure whether I should proceed from there as I am apprehensive whether I am getting Windows 8 or Windows 10 and whether the reset or restore would fail half-way and end up with an unworkable computer.

Capture1.JPGCapture.JPG

Best Answer

• healer
    Answer ✓

The web site I tried was https://store.acer.com/en-us/extended/recovery/ I think I googled and found it.

By the way, the web site you suggested seems to tell me how to create recovery media from the computer we buy.  I think it is too late for me in this case for the computer has been upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 8.

Answers

• healer

It is already more than a month.

I am trying to revert back to the factory default Windows system that came with the laptop when I had it brand-new.

I am not too sure whether the upgrade to Windows 10 has disabled or corrupted the function or the hidden partition where the factory image had been stored.

I am concerned if the reset process would then end up having a laptop not workable.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

Yes, the Windows 10 install wipes out the ability to restore back to 8 after that month. To retore back to factory defaults you'll need to use your restore disks (either came with the computer or were created as part of your initial setup).

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • healer

Does that mean if I follow the reset process through I shall definitely get the Windows 10 or I get nothing at all?

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

reset will just restore windows 10.

check if you are still able to create a recovery media:

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4200-recovery-drive-create-windows-10-a.html

backup system files must be checked.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • healer

No, I want Windows 8, not Windows 10.

The other day I entered the serial number of the laptop in question at Acer web site to find out the cost of getting the recovery meda.  It came back with an error message saying it couldn't recognize the serial number I entered.

• IronFly

which Acer website did you use?

by the way, the link i gave you is to create a recovery media and sometimes works recovering the old Acer recovery partition.

• healer
    Answer ✓

The web site I tried was https://store.acer.com/en-us/extended/recovery/ I think I googled and found it.

By the way, the web site you suggested seems to tell me how to create recovery media from the computer we buy.  I think it is too late for me in this case for the computer has been upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 8.

• IronFly

that website is for US market only:

if you are outside the US, you must call/email your regional Acer support service:
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/

• healer

Fair enough!  I live in Australia.  I have just emailed them and shall wait for their response.

• healer

Fair enough!

I live in Australia.

I have just emailed them and shall wait for their response.

• KenOwsley62
    KenOwsley62 Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

Actually you can order a restore disk from http://www.restoredisks.com/default.aspx 

just select your manufacturer and model number select the os you want to restore it to.

• Puddings_pies
    Puddings_pies Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Is there any more on this subject. I think my recovery partition is there, its Disk 0 Partition 1.

Any idea how i could get it to run? I'm in the same situation.

• KenOwsley62
    KenOwsley62 Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

Power up your laptop and select F11 just after you see the bios menu to do factory restore, if that doesn't work you may have to enable it in the system bios.
  • IronFly

it's Alt+F10 on Acer PC.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

Puddings_pies wrote:

Is there any more on this subject. I think my recovery partition is there, its Disk 0 Partition 1.

Any idea how i could get it to run? I'm in the same situation.

Disk 0mPartition1 is usually the very small partition that holds only the software to do a recovery, not the recovery image itself. The image is usually 10+GB in size and often the last partition on the disk, so usually number 4, 5 or 6.

Most often the original recovery image is cleared 30 days after the W10 install, which means you need the factory image to restore the original OS.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.