Aspire E5-571G keyboard letters stop working?

KC_FM
KC_FM Member Posts: 2 New User

Windows 8.1 x64
BIOS was updated recently, as well as touchpad.

Sometimes my keyboard stops working, specifically a set of keys: B N Y U H 7 and 8.
These are always the ones which stop working. I've bought the laptop on Dec 2014.

This happens either when I start the computer or even in the middle of me playing a game, or browsing the Internet. I notice this only when I am tryign to type something.

I've pressed NUMlock to try if it fixes it - doesn't. I've done the shutting down of the laptop, remove power cable + battery and keep power button pressed for 10 seconds - no fix.

I want to update the keyboard driver - it might be the culprit and yet I cannot find anything on Acer's drivers and manuals section relating to keyboard. The touchpad was updated.

The only way to make it work is if I go to Control Panel > Troubleshooting > Hardware.
Then a weird message appears at the end of the scanning: Some changes might not have been detected.   DETECTED (and a tick close to it).

Anyone can help please? This is a fairly new laptop. It is still in warranty! Yet I purchased it in Portugal and I am living in another country where I don't trust how my laptop will be handled by people here. Believe me, you wouldn't either.

Can someone help me to find the driver for the keyboard so I can update it or perhaps another solution?

Best Answer

• KC_FM
    Answer ✓

How can you say I have to replace the whole keyboard only after 14 months? That's crazy man. Are you saying Acer's Laptops break down this easily?

For everyone who has had this issue do what I've done. This I've read about someone else who has had the same issue - and many people have it and has nothing to do with the hardware but with the software.

Don't despair, here's the solution that so far has worked for me and didn't make me replace my keyboard like this fellow here is saying - what a waste of money.

1) type in your windows search: regedit.
    2) go to Computer > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > Current Control Set > Services

3) Scroll down to i8042prt (this is the name of my PS/2 keyboard in the system).

4) Go to Enum > Make sure your NextInstance and Count files are set to number "1" Hexadecimal.

That's it.

Ever since I posted this, I've not had issues with the keyboard at all.

Hopefully, this will be your solution as well!

I recommend you install Acer Care Centre (from acer's website) so you are able to see which available drivers you can install and keep your laptop up to date. And no, Acer didn't make a driver update for the keyboard.

[edited to comply with guidelines]

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

You probably need to replace the keyboard. If it was drivers, none of the keys would work.

• KC_FM
    Answer ✓

How can you say I have to replace the whole keyboard only after 14 months? That's crazy man. Are you saying Acer's Laptops break down this easily?

For everyone who has had this issue do what I've done. This I've read about someone else who has had the same issue - and many people have it and has nothing to do with the hardware but with the software.

Don't despair, here's the solution that so far has worked for me and didn't make me replace my keyboard like this fellow here is saying - what a waste of money.

1) type in your windows search: regedit.
    2) go to Computer > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > Current Control Set > Services

3) Scroll down to i8042prt (this is the name of my PS/2 keyboard in the system).

4) Go to Enum > Make sure your NextInstance and Count files are set to number "1" Hexadecimal.

That's it.

Ever since I posted this, I've not had issues with the keyboard at all.

Hopefully, this will be your solution as well!

I recommend you install Acer Care Centre (from acer's website) so you are able to see which available drivers you can install and keep your laptop up to date. And no, Acer didn't make a driver update for the keyboard.

[edited to comply with guidelines]