Windows 10 touchpad shows no user settings after today's update??

writerguy
writerguy Member Posts: 7 New User

I have an Aspire One Cloudbook 14 which I bought last October with Windows 10 installed. I didn't have to upgrade from earlier Windows.

As Windows has force-updated the sytem over the months, I have frequently had problems with the synaptics touchpad losing settings. But I have always had the opportunity to go into the settings and re-set the gestures, scrolling options, etc.

The last week or two, I have found mouse settings/options in the Win 10 "Settings" screens showing almost always just the Microsoft mouse settings/resettings.

After an update today, the synaptics icon has disappeared from the system tray so I cannot double click it and get to the synaptics "hardware" tab to re-set anything.

To complicate matters, the most current synaptics drivers here at Acer for this cloudbook is version 19.0.14.36 BUT THE WINDOWS 1O UPDATE TODAY INSTALLED 19.2.5.3??

Assuming I can find synaptics hardware settings options somewhere -- well, right now I'm lost on how to do that, because there's nothing under "properties" or anywhere else I can find any user-modifiyable settings except for pointer options.

HELP, PLEASE????

Thanks.

Gary

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,647 Trailblazer

Check in Device Manager, do you have any devices showing errors?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • writerguy
    writerguy Member Posts: 7 New User

Thanks for the suggestion, but I checked Device Manager and everything looked all right.

I think I did get the problem resolved, but I'm not sure exactly how??

One of the Acer support people in a live chat had me go into Device Manager, right-click on the synaptics touchpad controller, then delete it. Then I re-started the computer and that caused Windows 10 to re-install the touchpad drivers -- and everything started working as it should.

FYI -- about two out of five times that Windows 10 updates messes with anything related to the touchpad, it messes up my touchpad and has me scrambling around and scratching my balding head in perplexity. Smiley Happy

Gary