R7-572 touch screen not working

Dawn1
Dawn1 Member Posts: 6 New User

I have a new R7-572 running on Windows 10. The touch screen stops working randomly. When it's working the driver is shown on the human interfaces list, as uo to date and working. When the screen goes off the driver disappears from the list!

Live chat told me to install all the drivers shown on the list for my model, which makes sense, but when I tried the download goes into a zipped folder, with no option to install. I asked how to do this, and he gave me a phone no. Rang the number and told I'd have to pay - for a brand new Acer product, to get advice as to why Acer software won't work?!! They gave me another no to call, but they won't tell me how to download the drivers, they just want me to reinstall the os, with all the inconvenience that entails! Surely you try the easier things first?

So, please can someone explain to me how I install the zipped driver downloads?

Answers

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Hope that it is just drivers but what you do is to unzip the driver package into a temporary directory. When the touchscreen is working Right click on START (long press) and go to Device Manager>Human Interface Devices>HID compliant touch screen Click/touch Driver/update driver then select "Browse...on your computer, point to the temorary directory with the new driver and press NEXT. If it is a newer driver it will load it.

• Dawn1

Thanks, but I'm a bit confused. If I browse the web for the driver it says I have the most up to date one. The downloads aren't specifically this particular driver, but I was told by the chap on live chat that it should be bundled  into one of them, so can I install them specifically by right clicking the screen driver?

• padgett

May need to uninstall your current driver first. Then use "have disk" to force your driver.

Must say being erratic sounds more like a hardware or overheat condition to me.

• Dawn1

Don't know what's causing it, doesn't make sense. It will work fine for a few days then just disappear, or just won't be working when I switch on, but then at some point reappear. Some days it will come and go several times, and I just don't understand how the driver can be there one minute and not the next!

I also had a problem with using the webcam that no one could make sense of, I kept getting a message that it was in use by another programme.  Eventually I sorted this myself, when I realised that some of the apps (rather than programmes) I have installed have webcam permissions. As soon as I turned off all the app permissions everything was fine. I'm wondering if it could be something similar with the touch screen, but really have no idea!

• padgett

Doubt it, Windows seems to be able to handle any number of Human Interface Devices (HID).

Does the touchscreen disappear from Device Manager when this happens ? That would sound like a loose connection. Does wiggling help ?

• Dawn1

Yes, disappears completely. No, wiggling doesn't help (for some reason that's making me laugh!).

I thought at first it might be a loose connection, because when it first happened and I contacted Acer I was asked for the SNID, and when I flipped the screen to get it the touch screen started working again. I asked if it could be a loose connection to do with the screen, but was told it wouldn't be that.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer

Dawn1 wrote:

Yes, disappears completely. No, wiggling doesn't help (for some reason that's making me laugh!).

I thought at first it might be a loose connection, because when it first happened and I contacted Acer I was asked for the SNID, and when I flipped the screen to get it the touch screen started working again. I asked if it could be a loose connection to do with the screen, but was told it wouldn't be that.

Heheh... That sure sounds like a loose wire to me. Smiley Happy

The driver disappears from Device Manager because Device Manage by default only shows devices connected, and if the cable is loose some of the time it's not connected.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Dawn1

It wouldn't surprise me, this is my second laptop as the first arrived last month with a completely dead screen! As I said I did suggest a loose connection to the chap at Acer, but he said it wouldn't be that. Seems like you have to go through the whole rigmarole of reinstalling the os before they will even consider anything else.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer

That is because having you do diagnostics yourself is cheaper for them... And I imagine they get a lot of returns that aren't really bad.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • padgett

You also have to understand that the "Help Desk" is staffed with Script Kiddies who are instructed not to think (this is true everywhere) and the people Who Actually Know are kept in cages and fed Jolt cola and Twinkies (when the original company went broke it had to be imported from Canada so the progammers could be fed).

Consequently the only people you can reach who can help are either retired or unemployed for the most part. Not having a life helps.

For example I finally found a proper replacement for my Aspire One 532h (64 bit capable netbook) in the form of a R3-131T-P344 (Its BLUE). I bought it "refurbished" at a considerable discount from the Acer store on eBay.

Turned out it was a brand new machine. Had to be because it could not have ever been booted as the loader was corrupted. Fortunately I found some undocumented treats such as powering on three times and aborting in BIOS while wiggling my ears that allowed access to the recovery partition and could rebuild the whole thing. Having MSDN access helps.

Key is knowing that there is usually a way to fix things but the Help Desk can only help with common things. To find out the more obscure (when they start telling you to rebuild), Google is your friend.

ps with a recovery flash drive and a system image, full recovery takes about 20 minutes. That R3 took me 24 hours and was not the hardest/longest Win 10 build I've done.

Key is that the transition to Win 10 has been a struggle - for a long time Clover Trail was not supported at all) - and the great bulk of the issues I see are not Acer's fault at all, they are pervasive but slowly everything is getting ironed out.

• Dawn1

Well you lost me at Twinkies and Jolt cola! But I think I got the idea - here that would probably be Jaffa Cakes and RedBull. You are of course absolutely right, if you try and go off script they don't know what to do, seems their script is much more important than customer service. Suppose I'll just have to follow instructions, which, if it is a loose connection, will mean returning the laptop, once I've jumped through all the hoops. Maybe I should just learn to wiggle my ears?