Nitro V15 - power button does not shutdown

Dundy
Dundy Member Posts: 57 Devotee WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

Hi,

I have bought a Nitro V15 with Windows 10 and when I press the power button, nothing happens at all. I have seen that there is an " Acer Power Button " app installed that can be used to shut down or hibernate. My power settings are set in a way so that the power button should hibernate the computer either when running on battery or while being charged. If I hold it for 3 seconds then it forces a switch off (not a proper shutting down) so the button works - and of course when starting the notebook it works fine.

How can I get the original functionality of the power button back?

I do not understand why the functionality of the power button was taken away?  We have recently purchased another Acer notebook (not a Nitro) and that has the same issue. Thus I assume that it is an Acer thing.

Thanks for any advice in advance!

Best Answer

• Dundy
    Answer ✓

Fiper / All,

I have just received the below message which is the solution (highlighted in bold) from the Acer support team:

" Thank you for contacting Acer support.
    With regard to your concern, the settings which are currently setup on the system is the best settings to use. Basically, in Windows 10 you can click on the start (Windows logo) and it has the option to shut down, or restart, etc. this will allow you to close all the programs before you shut down the system and avoid any system problems.
    Pressing the Power button for 1 second will make the system hibernate so you can still use it on a later time while all the applications you left behind are there where you left them. However if you like, you may go back to the power settings and adjust the settings to (press power button) change it to shutdown instead of hibernate. "

I only knew about pressing the power button for 3+ seconds forcing a complete shutdown and I was not aware that pressing it for 1 second does hibernation or whatever else may be set under Power Settings. It works perfectly.

I have recommended that they consider finding a way to make this clear to Acer notebook users as after a week of googling I can confirm that I was not the only one knowing about this one second pressing option.

IronFly, thanks for trying to help!

Regards,

Dundy

Answers

• Dundy

Anyone, please? Robot Indifferent

I have been searching on the internet for days but I was unable to find a solution.

The power button works fine when turning on the computer but Windows 10 somehow disables it and it does not do what it is supposed to do (as per power settings it should hibernate).

• fiper
    fiper Member Posts: 4 New User

I have the same Problem.

Acer Aspire V15 (VN7-572G-50NJ) with newes Win10 Release

• Dundy

We have two brand new Acer notebooks of different kinds and both have the issue.

It clearly is an Acer issue and I just wonder what on Earth would make them think that forcefully disabling the power button is a good idea?!

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

can you please check one thing?

windows logo key + x

Device manager

click on System devices

double click on Intel management Engine interfarce (if listed)

click on Driver tab

report Driver version

please report BIOS version too

windows logo key + r

type

msinfo32

report BIOS version/date string

Report your laptop model VN7-xxx

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Dundy

Hi,

Intel version: 10.11.0.0.1166.

BIOS: Insyde Corp. V1.07 1/7/2016

Aspire VN7-592G

Thanks!

• IronFly

about your hibernating issue, can you please try this:

windows logo key + x

click on command prompt (admin)

type

powercfg -h on

exit

reboot and check your power button function

• Dundy

Done as written, ran the command - got no error message as a matter of fact didn't get anything other than the new command prompt after running it. Rebooted and the Power button still does not respond.

• IronFly
    Ok, it was worth a try.
    I already highlighted this discussion.
  • Dundy

Thanks for trying. I have contacted Acer directly as well. After days of googling I have not seen anyone posting a solution to this.

I am new to this forum, what do you mean by highlighting this discussion?

• IronFly

Sent a message to an Acer Tech Smiley Happy

• Dundy
    Gotcha, thanks!
  • fiper

Hallo

The same Issu on my VN7-572G-50NJ

Driver Version: 11.0.0.1166

Bios: Inside Corp. V1.04   17.09.2015 

The command "powercfg -h (with admin Rights) also works without errors but on dosnt help. My power Buttom is out of work

• fiper

IronFly schrieb:

can you please check one thing?

windows logo key + x

Device manager

click on System devices

double click on Intel management Engine interfarce (if listed)

click on Driver tab

report Driver version

please report BIOS version too

windows logo key + r

type

msinfo32

report BIOS version/date string

Report your laptop model VN7-xxx

Hallo

The same Issu on my VN7-572G-50NJ

Driver Version: 11.0.0.1166

Bios: Inside Corp. V1.04   17.09.2015 

The command "powercfg -h (with admin Rights) also works without errors but on dosnt help. My power Buttom is out of work

• Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator
    Sorry you are having problems with this. We are looking into this and hope to be able to provide an update shortly.
  • Dundy

Blayn,

Thank you for that. I look forward to hearing from you.

• Dundy
    Answer ✓

Fiper / All,

I have just received the below message which is the solution (highlighted in bold) from the Acer support team:

" Thank you for contacting Acer support.
    With regard to your concern, the settings which are currently setup on the system is the best settings to use. Basically, in Windows 10 you can click on the start (Windows logo) and it has the option to shut down, or restart, etc. this will allow you to close all the programs before you shut down the system and avoid any system problems.
    Pressing the Power button for 1 second will make the system hibernate so you can still use it on a later time while all the applications you left behind are there where you left them. However if you like, you may go back to the power settings and adjust the settings to (press power button) change it to shutdown instead of hibernate. "

I only knew about pressing the power button for 3+ seconds forcing a complete shutdown and I was not aware that pressing it for 1 second does hibernation or whatever else may be set under Power Settings. It works perfectly.

I have recommended that they consider finding a way to make this clear to Acer notebook users as after a week of googling I can confirm that I was not the only one knowing about this one second pressing option.

IronFly, thanks for trying to help!

Regards,

Dundy

• IronFly

You welcome, glad they answered the question. Smiley Happy

• fiper

Thanks Dundy and IronFly for your efforts. I also didnt know from the 1 second Option.

Best Regards - Peter

• phil2k
    phil2k Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi, 

I have the same problem with an Acer ES1-533 on Windows10.

The power-button doesn't do anything when it's pressed in Windows10 (works only at laptop startup, or to force the shutdown by pressing it for 5 seconds).

The solution with "powercfg -h on" doesn't do anything (no error, but no effect as well).

The "Intel management Engine interface" driver is not present in the drivers list.

I've updated the BIOS too from the acer.com site, now having the following: "Insyde Corp.V1.04, 9/7/2016".

Please give us a sollution for this problem.

Thank you.

• nbcaldon
    nbcaldon Member Posts: 1 New User

This seems to be a feature of current Acer laptops. I have just been setting up a new Aspire ES1-332 and a new E5-575.  The power button on each of these devices does not respond to Windows 10 Power Button settings.  A click on the power button does nothing although it should do the action specified in the Windows settings.  The nearest we can get to that is to press the button for about 1 sec and set up the option required in the Acer window that pops up here.  This is very dodgy as we don't want our users to hold the button down too long and do a forced shutdown.  This feature does not seem to be documented in the manuals.