Acer Aspire S7

izoli
izoli Member Posts: 2 New User

So I was just browsing the store and had to make an account for this, in what universe does a 13" display with an i7-5500u, 8gb ddr3, 256gb ssd laptop with a 4-cell battery and usb 3.0 cost $1300?

To pay even almost that amount I would expect at least a 6-cell, 500gb ssd, usb 3.0/3.1, 15", quad core cpu, and either ddr4 or a gtx 950/960 depending on what it's being used for.

As it is now literally has no use, bad computing power and really bad graphics so anything that requires those are already out, the 256gb is way too small for any sort of media, what reason is there to own this laptop let alone spend $1300 on it? I'd spend $500... maybe $750 if I was desperate and had no other choices.

As comparison the last laptop I bought was a brand new msi gt70 back in 2014 for $1500 it came with a 17" 1080p, i7-4710mq (significantly better still than the 5500), 16GB ddr3, 1TB HDD AND a 256gb ssd, 9-cell battery, gtx 970m, and sadly it also only had usb 3.0. Better in every single aspect except battery life which you can disable the 970 and use the Intel graphics which was also better than the 5500 graphics and have comparable battery life as well. How can a company charge so much for a mediocre product and still be able to smile as if they aren't just stealing money from people?

Answers

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Doubt that Acer uses the same model but back in the day, Chevrolet used to put unreal option prices (an engine that cost more than the car it went in ?) for things they really did not want to sell to the public.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

you can't compare ultrabook portability with other size laptops.

you need to compare your MSI laptop with Acer Predator laptop models.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • izoli
    izoli Member Posts: 2 New User
    I might be crazy but pricing electronics on hardware rather than size and weight seems a better approach.

They could keep the same slim and light design and put in a better cpu with better integrated graphics, a bigger ssd, ddr4 memory, at least one 3.1 usb, a 1440p monitor and boom a laptop that's actually worth $1300-$1500
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

That kind of power is going to need more power/cooling than you can put in a laptop and get decent battery life. What you need is something like a Intel NUC PC I7-5557U (and the I7 CPU alone has a $436 tray price).