Battery plugged in, charging, but still 0%

tadask
tadask Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 18 in 2019 Archives

I have Acer Iconia W700. It started showing message plugged in, charging, but not going past 6%. I've tried reinstalling ACPI drivers, etc. and it did not work. Purchased a new battery and changed to it. Then it showed same message with 10%. I've changed power settings to not sleep at 5% and so discharged it to 0%.

Now battery shows 0%, plugged in, charging. As soon as I disconect the power cord tablet goes to sleep.

I know battery is ok, because I kept power cord plugged in overnight, battery still showed 0%, I uninstalled ACPI drivers and then disconnected power cord and tablet kept working. I turned on some long youtube video and it played it over an hour for sure.

So battery is charging and working, but problem is somewhere else.

So far I've tried booting it with battery unpluged, uninstalling ACPI drivers multiple times and even cleanly reinstalled Windows 8.1. nothing seems to work. Any ideas?.

Answers

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

I'd download and install BatteryInfoView from Nirsoft. It can give a detailed view of exactly what is going on.

• tadask

Thanks padgett, I just did that.

Capacity and health are good.

Voltage is a bit low, with 10V instead of 11, though when i measured it with voltmeter after replacement, it showed 11 on some pins.

Of course it shows 0% charge.

Thing that seems odd is chargin/draining power, which never went out of +-400mW. 

So looks like it is practically not charging.

I know that charger provides correct voltage (measured it), but i can't be sure about power.

Is there anything I can reset/replace or test? I've tried another charger briefly, made no difference, I might try it now with batteryinfoview to see if power consumtion changes.

Also tablet now often goes to sleep or turns off when charger is plugged, so it might be a power issue?

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Sounds to me like either the new battery is NG or a connector/wire is bad/unplugged. 

Do not have a W700 but do have a slightly later W510 & showing 29k mw charge @ 4.9v & 96%

• tadask

Tried a different charger again, this time seeing the charge rate. It's 700,000 mW (as opposed to 400 mW with old one). Looks like it was the problem - old charger did not provide enough current (power) for the tablet and battery. 

To anybody coming to this thread searching for solution - check not only your charger's voltage, but battery charge rate as well.

• faisalrauf98
    faisalrauf98 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I had the same issue with my Acer A715-72G.
    I noticed that it occurred after I put my laptop to sleep, and didn't used it for 3-4 days. I Think the battery drained to 0%. After 4 days, when I used my laptop, I can't turn it on as the battery was at zero. So I plugged in my adapter and started the laptop. It was after 10-15 minutes i noticed that my battery is not charging. The battery sign showed "0 %, plugged in charging", but it was not charging. As I removed the adapter, the laptop became dead at once, the battery did not charged a bit. The problem was that charger was not providing enough current while the laptop was running.

I turned off the laptop and pressed the battery reset button for 10-15 seconds and plugged in the charger. I allowed it to charge without turning on the laptop. After 10-15 minutes, I turned on the laptop and battery was charged about 10 %, and it worked normally after.
    I hope this will help anyone.