Can I use generic Win10 disc to Clean Install my Aspire ZC-102 desktop that came with Windows 8?

vankjeff
vankjeff Member Posts: 24 New User

I've been struggling with my desktop ACER since it was still on Windows 8. I should have either returned it before the warranty ran out in January of last year or maybe have kept it on Windows 8.1 until it was fixed so that the set of 4 discs that came with it could be used if needed.

Now I'm ready to do a Clean Install to start fresh. I've got all of my data backed up on a flash drive. I have a list of all of the Store APPs and other programs such as MS Office and Paint Shop Pro that I have on it along with a few PrintScreens ofd my destop and my Start Menu pop up so I can arrange it the same way after I go thru this mess.
So my real Question is this .... I have a real copy of Windows 10 on a DVD that I could use to do this with. But then can I just use ACER's Discs # 2-4 to install all of the ACER stuff and if so, how?

I stuck Disc 2 in just to see what it would do. It didn't AutoPlay anything. Instead it popped up File Explorer showing me 4 things on it: a acer dvd.jpg

Maybe Disc 1 has something on it to make it ask for Disc 2 but if I don't run Disc 1, is there a way to use my Windows 10 disc and then ACER Discs 2 thru 4 to do finish my Clean Install and bring it back into ACER Land?

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

short answer: no.

Acer disks must be used in the correct order and can't be mixed with another OS version or non Acer installation media.

be aware that your model will not be supported by Acer with windows 10 drivers, by the way normally windows 10 will find all the  drivers needed during installation if connected to the web or you can find it at hardware manufacterers support websites.

don't mix windows 8.x drivers or softwares on windows 10 OS.....at least use them as last resource.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • vankjeff

What do you mean with what you said at the end about mixing drivers? I'm now planning on completely Clean Installing Windows 8 or Repair Installing and all of the other ACER discs tomorrow and then rebuilding everything. So if I use the Microsoft Updates site to upgrade to Windows 10, will it also automatically upgrade the drivers and I won't need to worry about what you said?

• IronFly

i meant, that you need to use only windows 10 DVD to upgrade and don't use Acer CDs.

windows 10 will find most of the needed drivers.

• vankjeff
    Thanks but I'm a little confused. My desktop ZC or XC (?)102 has had bad problems since I got it with Win8 on it. I tried to fix it with help here & at Microsoft Answers. I'd hoped my maxxing the RAM from the 4gb to 16 would help it but it didn't.Then I hoped that it was some Windows issue and that the Windows 10 upgrade would fix it. But it didn't. So I do have the original set of ACER discs and I also have a copy of an actual installation disc for Windows 10 which isn't just a Repair one made by Windows 10. But I don't know how to proceed. I'd really rather not do a Clean Install if I can avoid it. Can you step me thru it in non-tech plain English that I can give a try? I have all the time in the world since I'm on disability after some dumb motocross accident so I also have very little money to pay someone to do it for me.
  • IronFly

if your system had performance issues from the start, no matter of windows version installed, there isn't much to do.

• vankjeff
    Well I know that now but I'd just been hopeful that it could be worked out rather than returning it as the 1 year warranty approached. But a year later, I'm still stuck with a piece that works nicely 99% of the time but for some reason is moody. My helpers over at Microsoft Answers have lead me thru all sorts of stuff to try to figure it out as to if it is hardware, operating system or software. It is so hard for me to give good feedback since I never know if it is behaving temporarily or permanently. But it always fails.
  • vankjeff

I'm ready to do something. I just asked this over at my related Question at Microsoft Answers but I bet that you'd know best.

"I'm mad at myself since I just sat down and was going to finally do something starting with the ACER discs that came with my computer when I got it new. But after looking at them closer, I see that one is labeled SYSTEM DISC 1 OF 1 WINDOWS 8 64-BIT N:FD.DCFA0.00W and then a set of four of them are labeled Recovery Disc 1, 2, 3 or 4 of 4 N:FD.DCFA0.00W. The 6th one is just some Language Disc.

So if I want to do some Repair thing where I think I remember it telling me that it would save all of my Docs and Store APPS but I'd need to reinstall any of my own APP/programs from CDs, DVDs or downloads, how do I do that? Would I start with ACER's DISC 1 of 1 or their DISC 1 of 4?"

That last thing that I'd asked Linney is at http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/please-help-me-with-my-sick-windows-10-pc/e6066b14-e8cb-4781-9c5e-7d42773fe690?page=15#LastReply

Then I suppose that I can either upgrade to Windows 10 using the official disc that I have of it or online at Microsoft Updates and I suppose you could tell me if that would then automatically deal with any drivers. Also, would doing this Repair initially have it set to use Windows 8 drivers which it would make sure are there to be used? I don't have a clue about drivers.