Upgrading my RAM on my V5-573P-9899 results in a blinking power light and no boot

salq
salq Member Posts: 7 New User

I wanted to take my stock 6GB 573P to 12 GB using a Crucial ct102464bf16fp, which the Crucial site says is compatible (DDR3 PC3-12800 • CL=11 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1600 • 1.35V • 1024Meg x 64) with my Acer.  Unfortunately, what actually happens when I install it is the power light lighting up for less than a second, and then repeating that every 2-3 seconds.  No acer splash shows up, and there's no opportunity to get into the BIOS setup.  I can put back the 4GB module that it came with, and it boots up fine again.

Does anyone know what's going on? 

Thank for reading.

Best Answer

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,018 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Hello,

The on-board Memory is Hynix or Elpida. That means your new memory module is not compatible.

Here are the original memory module of 8Gb:

Spoiler
    KN.8GB07.005SODIMM.8GB.DDR3L-1600.KINGSTON
    KN.8GB07.013SODIMM.8GB.DDR3L-1600.KINGSTON
    KN.8GB0G.013SODIMM.8GB.DDR3L-1600.HYNIX (hyundai electronics)

I suggest you to buy a Kingston memory or

ADATA - ADDS1600W8G11 - DDR3L 1600MHz 204 Pin SO-DIMM 8Gb

France

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,018 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Hello,

The on-board Memory is Hynix or Elpida. That means your new memory module is not compatible.

Here are the original memory module of 8Gb:

Spoiler
    KN.8GB07.005SODIMM.8GB.DDR3L-1600.KINGSTON
    KN.8GB07.013SODIMM.8GB.DDR3L-1600.KINGSTON
    KN.8GB0G.013SODIMM.8GB.DDR3L-1600.HYNIX (hyundai electronics)

I suggest you to buy a Kingston memory or

ADATA - ADDS1600W8G11 - DDR3L 1600MHz 204 Pin SO-DIMM 8Gb

France
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

Some Acer models with Intel Shark Bay Haswell 4xxxU received a BIOS update that supposedly fixes that incompatibilty.  But I don't think your model got that update (for whatever reason).  You can check the Acer Care Center app on your computer to see if it has a Critical BIOS update, but I don't think it will.  Can't hurt to try.

Edit: Your computer is mobile Panther point chipset and I think only some models with mobile Lynx point chipset got the bios update so that might explain why yours doesn't have the BIOS update that resolves Hynix compatibility issues.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • salq

There were some minor updates from the beginning of last year.  I tried it anyway just for kicks, no change.

Thanks for the reply.

• JordanB

Ok. I think Laurent gave you good advice. If it were my computer, I would take laurents advice and go with the Kingston. 

• salq

Well that's a shame, I guess Crucial rolled the dice and hoped it would work.  My 2GB is a Hynix, so that makes sense.

Thanks for the help.

• JordanB

Yeah I don't know what's  to blame for the compatiblity issue.  Could be Hynix.  Could be BIOS.  Could be Crucial.  I'd hate to say.  But since the original Hynix memory is permanently soldered to the board, it does raise eyebrows.  Definitely not a situation where you want compatiblity issues.....especially when shipping a product to the North American market where Crucial/Micron memory upgrades are very popular.

• salq

I did finally get a Kingston module, and it worked just fine.  Thanks again for the reference laurent_14.