Aspire R7 Broadcom Wireless LAN is incompatibile with the version of Windows (Win 10)

p_murphy101
p_murphy101 Member Posts: 8 New User

I get this error notification when starting windows but I can still use the wifi adapter

Since updating windows 10 "Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3124263)"

cheers

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

can you post the complete laptop model?

R7-xxx

maybe you can fix it updating Broadcom drivers.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • p_murphy101
    R7 571G

no updated drivers on Acer support
  • IronFly

yep, please do this:

Windows logo key + x
    click on Device manager

click on Network adapters

double click on the Broadcom wireless adapter
    choose "Details" tab
    from dropdown menu, select HardwareIDs
    click on the first value and copy/paste it here

• p_murphy101
    PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4359&SUBSYS_660311AD&REV_00
  • IronFly

download this drivers version:

http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=352&func=fileinfo&id=1985&lang=fr

click on telecharger, once downloaded double click the exe file to let files extract, it will create a new folder.

now to install those drivers:

Windows logo key + x
    click on Device manager

click on Network adapters

double click on the Broadcom wireless adapter

click on Driver tab

click on update driver

click on Browse my computer....

click on Browse and point to the new folder with broadcom drivers

click on next and let drivers install

once installed, reboot and check if Windows 10 still marks your wifi adapter as incompatible.

• p_murphy101

Thanks for the help. Installed but restarted and still getting

"this app can't run on your pc windows 10" notifications for: "Broadcom Wireless LAN Controller"

I think it's just the tray icon app which I can just disable anyway, but not 100% sure

edit :

I removed it from msconfig startup but it's still showing:

the full message is "this app can't run on this PC: Broadcom 802.11 Network adapter wireless network controller doesn't work on this version of windows. Learn more"

at startup

• IronFly

one thing to try is to uninstall completly drivers and software and then use only the latest drivers you downloaded.

from device manager, right click on Broadcom wifi adapter and choose to uninstall and tick also the option to uninstall software too.

reboot and then install drivers manually as you did to update.

• aspired
    aspired Member Posts: 1 New User

After Microsoft was installing a new update the day before yesterday, I also got the message that the broadcom adapter does not work with the current version of windows 10.

I followed the suggestion in this thread of installing a new driver (not available from the acer website, but from the link shown below).

The message does not appear anymore, but the performance is quite bad. When I type

ping 192.168.178.1 -n 30 (ip address of my router) into a command window, I get something like the following:

Minimum: 1ms, Maximum= 2135ms, mean (average? I have a German version...) value= 377ms.

On other computers at home I get average values of 1 to 2 ms. If I remember correctly the performance was not very good even before, but the average was something below 10ms.

Maybe I should replace the Wifi adapter. Is there anybody out there who has experience with the Intel 7260 Wifi adapter, which I heard of? From youtube and google it seems that replacing the adapter is not very difficult, and the 30Euro could be a good investment.

Thank you for any response

Cheers

Ingo

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

First I'd try rebooting your router.

Second: When you open Device manager > Network adapters, does it say Broadcom ?

Third selecting properties is the status "this device is woking properly".

Fourth what is the driver number and date ?

Finally select the power tab and make sure the device cannot be turned off by the PC then under advanced, disable everything.

See if it acts differently.

• papabear
    papabear Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi,

I have the very same problem with my ACER R7-571 Broadcom driver. (It is really Broadcom.) Windows 10 keeps saying "This app can't run on this PC Broadcom 802.11 Network controller doesn't work on this version of Windows..."

I downloaded from station-drivers what you suggested, version changed, but the messages still appears.

I uninstalled (and deleted) all the drivers backwards and installed this new one from scratch, the message is there. 

Can u please provide a solution? 

Thank you

Papabear

• papabear
    papabear Member Posts: 2 New User

After some google search I found the following solution that worked for me: 

I disabled the Broadcom 802.11 Network Adapter Wireless Network Tray Applet in the Startup tab of the Task Manager and that stopped the annoying compatibility warning message on boot up.  Wireless is still working.

I found this solution here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/windows-10-notification-this-app-cant-run-on-this/44a9ba93-bbba-4e18-a164-cfc36d936ed2

Have fun. 

• scrambler
    scrambler Member Posts: 127 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon

I remember that after upgrading to windows 10, I got two messages saying "this application is not compatible with windows 10 and has been removed". There was one for the dolby digital plus and one for the broadcom application.

For dolby digital plus, I did have to remove the application, install the latest realtek driver and downoad a more recent version of the digital plus app.

For Broadcom, my wireless and bluetooth were still working just fine, so I did not do anything special. I do see that there is a program installed, and I was wondering if I should uninstall it, but given the wireless is working I decided not to touch anything.