Aspire 5315 battery

Sailorsam
Sailorsam Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Hello Everyone here. 

I have just inherited an Aspire 5315 when i got it i turned it on and it appears to function as it should, i charged it and it seemed to do that ok.  I installed windows  7 on it and all appears to be ok. Now when i go to charge it the charge light comes on and stays on for about 5 minutes ( not sure exact time) then goes out, after a while the light will just blink every 3 or 4 seconds.  If i unplug it at the laptop and  then plug it back in the whole process starts again.  The charge light comes on then after a short time it goes out then blinks every 3 or 4 seconds. If i remove the battery and use the laptop fom the charger it is ok so it points to the battery being the culprit.

Any help with this would be great thanks.

Cheers Sam

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer

Could be the battery. Could be the charger. Could be both. For about $20 and another $15 in a miscellaneous purchase, you can check them out and buy both new with free shipping from Amazon. Just search for Aspire 5315. 8^)

Jack E/NJ 

PS: Could be the MB too. But that's a whole nuther thing.

Jack E/NJ

• Sailorsam

Tinkerer

Thanks, I can buy new here for a similar price. If i remove the battery the computer runs fine off the charger so that looks to be ok.

• JackE

Sounds good. Let us know how it goes.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Sailorsam

Tinkerer

Hi I bought a new battery and get the same problem.  The charge light come on then goes out after about 5 minutes or so, then it just blinks at me every 2-3 seconds.  The laptop runs fine with the charger connected and the battery removed.  I also tried the charger from my Aspire one and i get the same problem, and yes i know the aspire one charger is lower spec but i just thought i would try and see what happens.  I am thinking there is a problem with the charge circuit in the motherboard.  Anyone got any ideas??? thanks.

• JackE

>>>I am thinking there is a problem with the charge circuit in the motherboard. Anyone got any ideas??? >>>

I agree with you that's it likely a motherboard issue. Maybe an omen of other issues to follow. Accordingly, I feel the most practical solution is to backup and transfer your data onto another system ASAP.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• hattonhall
    hattonhall Member Posts: 3 New User

Suggest you take a very close look at the connector pins on both the battery and the insert socket for it, on your laptop. It could be that one or more of the terminals is corroded or bent etc. When you have checked and fixed any physical problems, (you can use a small strip of very fine grade wet-or-dry pape sprayed with WD40 to lightly abrade them to restore good physical connection)

Then spray the all of the terminal pins with WD40 and shake off the excess.

Then insert and remove the battery ten times to make sure the contacts all get made so as to improve the physical contact between them all.

Then see if it all functions correctly.

If that fails, then there is another problem which may not be an economical repair.

Cheers

hattonhall