Intel (R) HD Graphics Family Driver Not Working for Aspire S7-392 in Windows 10

olichance
olichance Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi there,

I upgraded my Aspire S7-392 to Windows 10 a few weeks ago, and while most things seem to be working fine, the driver for the Intel (R) HD Graphics Family display adapter has had the yellow exclamation mark of 'something's wrong' next to it ever since. I'm now unable to plug my laptop into the external monitor I use for work (as nothing happens when I do so), and graphics performance is visibly slowed down (to the point of unusability) when playing even fairly low-demand games.

All of which would seem to indicate that there's a pretty major problem with the drivers. I spent literally 10 hours on the phone to Microsoft customer service trying to figure out the issue, but all they could tell me after a fairly intensive investigation was that they didn't know what the issue was, and to wait for driver updates from Acer or Intel.

I have the latest driver from the Acer support website installed (although there doesn't seem to be one specifically for Windows 10), and I've rolled back and updated and tried several versions of the drivers from there, but all seem to have the same issue.

I also downloaded the Windows 10 drivers from Intel that are supposedly specifically for my processor and graphics setup, but when I try to install them, it says that my computer doesn't meet the requirements (which is pretty confusing when I have the exact hardware the driver is designed for).

I've searched these support forums for other Aspire S7 users having similar problems, and for people with Intel (R) HD Graphics Family setups experiencing similar problems, but can't seem to find anything.

Apologies if this has actually been discussed elsewhere, but any help at all with this issue would be appreciated. Windows 10 has been out for a while now, so I was hoping a solution had been found for this, since there must be quite a few S7 users out there.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any thoughts/tips,

Oli

Best Answer

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

1. Download the "Intel Driver Update Utilty" 

2. Go to device manage and uninstall/delete your Intel graphics driver

3.  Run the Intel driver update utility. 

Your current graphics driver is a custom Acer/Intel  OEM graphics driver.  Thats why it won't let you install it.  If the generic graphics driver that the update Utilty installs doesn't work quite right, then you'll have to go back to the driver that's on Acers website. 

If don't want to use the Intel driver update Utilty, then you'll have to download the zip driver file instead of the .exe driver......and then use the "have disk method" to install it. It's probably easier to just use the Intel driver update Utilty. 

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• JordanB
    Answer ✓

1. Download the "Intel Driver Update Utilty" 

2. Go to device manage and uninstall/delete your Intel graphics driver

3.  Run the Intel driver update utility. 

Your current graphics driver is a custom Acer/Intel  OEM graphics driver.  Thats why it won't let you install it.  If the generic graphics driver that the update Utilty installs doesn't work quite right, then you'll have to go back to the driver that's on Acers website. 

If don't want to use the Intel driver update Utilty, then you'll have to download the zip driver file instead of the .exe driver......and then use the "have disk method" to install it. It's probably easier to just use the Intel driver update Utilty. 

• JordanB

As always, anytime that your messing with drivers, make sure your files are all backed up in case it messes up your computer.....and you're forced to do a reset.  Just a general safety precaution and a good habit. 

• olichance
    olichance Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks so much!

It wasn't quite as straightforward as just uninstalling the driver and then running the update utility, but eventually I managed to get it to work using basically the technique you described. No more yellow exclamation mark, and I'm writing this now on my external monitor!

Thanks again!

Oli

• sokole
    sokole Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi Oli,

I'm having the same the problem on the same machine. However, I don't see a video adapter driver for this chipset available on the Acer downloads page for the S7 392. What driver version did you download and install? The latest version for this chipset (4th generation) that is currently available at Intel dosn't work. 

Thanks!

• jsankala
    jsankala Member Posts: 1 New User

Would it be the same for the Aspire R7-371T where the display doesn't flip or turn or change when I turn the screen? I haven't found anything anywhere about this.