restore failed - cannot find image path path:c:\images_tmp_dir\install.wim HELP my old drive crashed

tamijo818
tamijo818 Member Posts: 6 New User

my old drive crashed bought a new one, and the 5 cds to recover it from acer before I installed the cd's I could get into bios. Now nothing and I keep getting the following error evertime it gets to the end of installing recovery disk 3

restore failed - cannot find image path path:c:\images_tmp_dir\install.wim

Best Answer

• tamijo818
    Answer ✓

I Used Rufus, and yes I changed the BIOS, but I had read I need to change the format of my flash to fat64 which I have just done, now I am retrying to redo the ISO.  I will let you know if that works.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

we need more informations:

laptop model

windows OS version are you trying to restore

original HDD size and the new HDD size

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • tamijo818

I have a gateway VG70 NV76U-38U

Prior to my hard drive crashing I was running window 10 (upgraded from 8)

The new Drive I put in was the exact same as what was in my laptop WD 750GB

• IronFly

if you don't need specific Acer/Gateway software, why don't you install windows 10 instead of 8 and then upgrade?

you just need to download windows 10 from microsoft, create a bootable USB installation media and boot from that, skip the product key steps and once at desktop, the first time you will connect to the web it will be authorized.

download tool:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209

• tamijo818

I have a new hard drive, mine crashed.  I had to get the 5 discs from acer to get the drivers and such for my laptop.  Also I can no longer get into my Bios since I first tried to install the the discs.

• IronFly

drivers for windows 10 can be found from hardware manufacters.

about BIOS, if you mean that you can only boot from DVD, no problem, the tool will burn the downloaded files into a DVD too.

• IronFly

about BIOS issue, take off the HDD and try to enter BIOS pressing F2

by the way, the only thing you can try is to wipe your new HDD and retry the recovery CD.

Download Hiren's boot cd
    http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

you must create a bootable media as CD or USB pen from the .iso inside the downloaded .zip file.
    boot selecting Mini XP

Once booted use command prompt:
    then inside the cmd windows, type
    diskpart
    then on diskpart type
    list disk
    take note of the correct disk ID to erase
    type
    select disk x
    (x is the ID of your HDD to erase)
    type
    clean

• tamijo818

Any other suggestions?  I created an ISO on a flash drive and was able to get into my Bios by removing the HDD.  However it will not boot to the flash drive ugh!

• IronFly

have you set the BIOS to Legacy to boot from USB?

what tool did you use to create the bootable USB flash drive from the iso file?

• tamijo818
    Answer ✓

I Used Rufus, and yes I changed the BIOS, but I had read I need to change the format of my flash to fat64 which I have just done, now I am retrying to redo the ISO.  I will let you know if that works.

• tamijo818

After downloading the win10, I created the iso, changed format on flash to fat64 and success Smiley Happy  I am now up and running with my new drive.  TY all for your assistance...... Now to figure out how to get my pcoics from my crashed drive if possible.  Guess it was a waste of money ordering the recovery cd from acer seeing I couldn't get past disc 3 lol

• IronFly

you welcome.