windows 10 and Iconia W510

maurysz2
maurysz2 Member Posts: 19 New User

Will Acer release windows 10 compatible drivers for iconia W510. If not, what is the solution.? If there is no solution that definatly I will buy a windows 10 tablet just not Acer

Answers

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

Hi maury,

Unfortunately the W510 is not on the Windows 10 support list (linked below) and drivers will not be made available from Acer. That doesn't mean that the the system isn't still eligible for the upgrade with Windows, but we can't guarantee full functionality.

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/windows10-eligible-models

I understand the desire for Windows 10, and even the frustration if we're not able to provide driver support, but we do have to make sure that we can fully support what we've committed to support. While there are over 600 products qualified for Windows 10 driver support, we are not able to commit to all Windows 7 and Windows 8 devices.

Thanks,
    Cory

• anthropos
    anthropos Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Thank you for your honest answer, it met my expectations.

I installed Windows 10 and it worked all in all. The standard driver by Microsoft solved so far any problems which happened while using the old Intel driver, alas, it has bad performance and is not able to make use of every feature of PowerVR SGX 545, but if you purport that the graphic unit is not compatible then it is stronger than empirical facts.

This is possible the other way around: you abandon me quickly, I abandon you quickly. Thank you for your good support as short as it lasted but I am not eager to do the same mistakes twice.

• mabre17
    mabre17 Member Posts: 2 New User

Me too,

with Acer Iconia W3-810

• maurysz2
    maurysz2 Member Posts: 19 New User

Thank you for your  prompt reply. However, I would expect that in a sitiation like this you woul fix the problem as it it not such a big problem. It´s just a driver problem and I believe you could do it. As you don´t care to give the expected service fro a company such as yours, I have decided that I wil be buying Windows 10 devices. I have in my house 5 such devices, all ACER, from desktops, Laptops and tablets. I will change them all and it will not be ACER anymore.

Thank you

• denischti59
    denischti59 Member Posts: 7 New User

I have no probleme except right click on icon in taskbar (display bug, the menu is clear).
    Other problem is when I activate "hey cortana" : the pc crash (display not responde)

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

I don't use Cortina but when I press it a display with graphic choices opens. Also a long press on an icon in the taskbar (or anywhere) opens the right click menu.

This is a 32GB W510 running Win 10 though I did need to roll back the DPTF driver.

• denischti59

Excuse my english Smiley Happy

When I right (or long) click on a taskbar icon after the system start, I have this display bug

2015-09-10 (1).png

After some secondes/minute the bug disapear :

2015-09-10 (2).png

• anthropos

Tinkerer

I have checked the driver version and I have the one released by Acer but I still have problems with new apps; in these apps there are missing texts or symbols like price tags in the Windows Store.

Also the right click menu in the taskbar has problems and the Cortana screen too as there is missing the indicator which symbol on the left side is selected and the greeting of Cortana on the top is regularly missing.

In the Event Viewer or Reliability report there are always messages of this or that service which crashed during a day, something which got better with Windows 8 but now worsened again with Windows 10.

Windows 10 is quite unreliable on a W510 and I have installed Windows 10 at least three times from my ISO and had my device properly upgraded before that. It is true that Windows 10 is usable but unreliable at the same time and the only reason for using Windows 10 is the slow decline of the old Windows Store and app model of Windows 8.
  • anthropos

Tinkerer

denischti59 

That is one of the problems I were talking about. It is a problem only present in the driver version by Acer.

If you have this and you need to use these shortcuts, you could use the basic driver by Microsoft which has no graphic problems altogether but only uses basic functions of your device and thus has a bad performance.

• denischti59

I test the basic driver but I dont like de very bad performance.

"Thanks" Intel and Acer...

• padgett

I had noticed on one machne a tendancy to print some things "white on white" and would appear when highlighted. Have you seen that ?

• anthropos

Tinkerer

Something like that; as shown on the pictures of denischt59 sometimes there is no difference between text and background color but highlighted the text is visible.

I have found this in the taskbar like on these pictures but also in the Windows Store or even Info-Center. In the Store oftentimes the prices are not distinguishable from the background or the label "show all" above some categories. The Info-Center has sometimes invisible buttons or its background is entirely transparent and everything above its background is barely visible.

These are the main issues I remember at the moment.
  • padgett

I suspect something is scrambled & can be corrected in personalize - text color.

• denischti59
    I test the desactivation of transparent effect but no change.
    I set the "performance display" in the config of performance and no resolution too
  • anthropos

Tinkerer

The problem is not present with the basic driver by Microsoft. It is not always there with the Acer driver but most of the time. Thus the driver by Acer is simply unreliable.

I tested different settings too but I am quite sure that a user is unable to do something about it.

It just makes me sad to see that my device almost works well enough with a basic driver but thanks to the discontinued support I have to replace it in the long run. I have a machine older than this and it works better with Windows 10 and therefore I will no longer support Acer by spending some money for another device.

• padgett

Whch video driver are you using ? I have the Intel GMA 9.14.3.1176 from the latest Acer distro and everything is working fine.

• anthropos

Tinkerer

I use the same driver version 9.14.3.1176 and I used the last driver package from Acer. It is far from fine, it is somewhat usable most of the time but the next graphic bug seems right behind the next corner.

• denischti59

Hello all,

I have a little solution for the bug for the graphic bug :

I have pin the mail app in taskbar.
    On Windows start, right clic the icone. The menu appears correctly.
    All of graphics bug doesnt appears after this Smiley Happy

I have test it four time, and test right clic other icone before mail (the bug is already here).

BUT not right clic on other icone before the mail!!

• anthropos

Tinkerer

Finally I got a solution as it seems: an outdated driver!

Firstly I downloaded the three driver packages from Acer: 2.12, 3.01 and 3.02. I then installed all packages in that order( as I had problems installing apps from the Store after just installing the first pack and I am unable to tell if it was a temporary problem with the Store or a driver issue of another component). However, the important part was that I switched back the latest graphic driver to the oldest one dated from 2012-11-02.

Now my device works quite fine, I have not spotted any of my graphic problems I had previously. The only flaw is so far that the button for Flight Mode seems to be activated when it is actually switched off; it gets solved when I switch Flight Mode on and off once during a session. But it is likely that this visual problem reappears after a reboot.

• denischti59

I confirm, it's work Smiley Wink