how to solve windows 10 shutdown issues(power,keyboard lights are still on)?

princebijou
princebijou Member Posts: 2 New User
edited February 29 in 2018 Archives

Good Day,

how to solve windows 10 shutdown issues(power,keyboard lights are still on)?

as for my question above. i need to hold power button for like 5 seconds to fully shutdown my laptop. even restart, or sleep doesnt work right. i upgraded from a genuine win 8.1 to the free win 10 by that reservation app windows offered. im using acer aspire v5-573g i7, gt750m version, finnish keyboard layout

solutions i tried from random searches that didn't work for me.
1. un-checking fast shutdown at power options
2. turning off hibernation at cmd (types a code forgot what i was)
3. updating all drivers and bios with acer sites official drivers, driver pack solution 15.8, and intels driver update utility
4. downgrading intel management engine components driver from 11 to 9.5
5. going to bios and resetting it to default settings
6. making a "shutdown" shortcut with codes ex. shutdown /s /t 0
7. shift click shutdown

im thinking of reinstalling windows 10 via recovery that deletes apps,files,drivers,etc and hope this solves it. i cant roll back to win 8.1 because ive done this reset before to fully clean my system from win 8 files, and random trashes and the rollback option was gone.

thanks in advance Smiley Happy

Best Answer

• tepco
    tepco Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Answer ✓

Hello/Hallo wuschel93,

exactly what I had. Shutdown issue apprears only after some time running the notebook.

The problem is INTEL MANAGEMEN ENGINE V.11 RELATED!

I fixed it with uninstalling Intel Management Engine Version 11. Windows will install then version 9.5 automaticly. After that I disabled automatic driver update for this device. You can also install 9.5 without uninstalling the old one, it wil be overwritten.

Other manufactures also have this problem, but while Acer is still sleeping, they provide a solution (including download links):

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-and-Software/Sleep-and-Shutdown-issues-after-upgrading-to-Windows-10/td-p/5177663/page/3

Maybe there are some other issues that result in the same problem. But in most of the cases this is the answer. The thread starter maybe forgot to disable automatic driver update or did the installation of v9.5 wrong? 

Tepco 

Answers

• joeoil
    joeoil Member Posts: 51 New User

Didn't you make recovery disc's of Windowns 8?

I also had these problems after a clean install of Win 10 on my Acer Aspire desktop, and I tried every solutions from the Microsoft forums and other forums, but none of them was of any help. So I had to reinstall Windows 7 again on my computer from my Acer recovery discs.

I think the shutdown problem is a combination of driver and OS (Win 10) issue. I will wait for the next big update of Windows 10 before I will try to install Windows 10 again. My new Asus laptop works perfect with clean install of Windows 10, but my 4 years old Acer Aspire desktop didn't like Win 10. Smiley Wink

• princebijou
    princebijou Member Posts: 2 New User

no didnt have any cds with unit when i bought it. my laptop is not 1yr old yet. one reason i wanted to try win 10 is the great improvement of fps and its great! from 45fps its now almost 100fps high 1080p settings. i wanna try reinstalling win 10 at recovery options deletes app,settings,files,etc. could this fix the problem?

• tepco

Tinkerer

Hello,

wow, I found someone else with this annoying problem. I have also a V5 573G (i5) and did the upgrade from Windows 7.

If the system is on only for some minutes, it shutdown correctly. Error (backlight, fans on etc.)appears only after some usetime.

Tried also driver updates (own download, not the one on acer support page) but didnt help.

Have you tried a fresh install?
  • joeoil

tepco

Did you do a upgrade to Win 10 or a clean install?

My Acer Aspire M3920 desktop could not shut down properly when I did a clean install.

I re-installed Win 7 again and then did a upgrade to Win 10 and chooses NOT to keep programs, files and settings. This is as close as possible to a clean install, because avery thing on the hdd will be deleted. But it will probably still keep some of the old drivers from Win 7, and I guess that's why my computer now shuts down as normal.

My computer works fine after this upgrade to Win 10, even if it's not a "real clean install". 

Anyway, Win 10 is faster than Win 7. 

• tepco

Tinkerer

Hello joeoil,

i did an Upgrade vom Windows 7 to 10 - KEEPING settings, programs and other stuff.
    Instead of using most of the drivers from acer support page, I downloaded them myself in the web (to make sure they are the newest available).

I don't know if a clear Install will solve the problem in this case.

The shutdown issue seems software related. I don't have the problem after short uptime, only after some time shutdown is not working correctly. That seems to be a driver making trouble after a period of time.

@princebijou: Can you try to shutdown the V5 573G directly after windows 10 is started fully? Whats the result?

I will do some more research this evening.
  • Wuschel93
    Wuschel93 Member Posts: 6 New User

Hello everybody,

I'm having the exact same problem. I clean installed Windows 10 on my Acer V5-573G after first upgrading from Windows 8.1 to get my free license. When shuting down or sending the notebook to sleep after short periods of uptime after a clean start or after the last sleep period there's no problem. But after a longer uptime/heavy workload both shutdown and hibernate don't work properly anymore. The power LED stays on and the noise of one fan is still noticable. All other parts of the notebook are shutdown - screen, keyboard background lighting, hard drive, etc. This behavious started to appear only after installing Windows 10.

I only installed the drivers Acer offers and all Windows installs - also 8.1 before - were clean installs. Also a BIOS update didn't change that. So, it seems to be a clear software problem, Acer could possibly fix easily. Please get that done and offer us some help!

I hope, this issue will be adressed soon!

Cheers,

Wuschel93

• tepco

Tinkerer

Answer ✓

Hello/Hallo wuschel93,

exactly what I had. Shutdown issue apprears only after some time running the notebook.

The problem is INTEL MANAGEMEN ENGINE V.11 RELATED!

I fixed it with uninstalling Intel Management Engine Version 11. Windows will install then version 9.5 automaticly. After that I disabled automatic driver update for this device. You can also install 9.5 without uninstalling the old one, it wil be overwritten.

Other manufactures also have this problem, but while Acer is still sleeping, they provide a solution (including download links):

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-and-Software/Sleep-and-Shutdown-issues-after-upgrading-to-Windows-10/td-p/5177663/page/3

Maybe there are some other issues that result in the same problem. But in most of the cases this is the answer. The thread starter maybe forgot to disable automatic driver update or did the installation of v9.5 wrong? 

Tepco 

• Wuschel93

OK, thank you very much! I will try that solution and see what will happen... Would be awesome to solve that problem as it's actually the only problem I'm having with Windows 10 on my notebook atm.

I'll report back what this solution changed for my after some testing Smiley Wink

• Wuschel93

It works like a charm! All is running well now... It's seems to me now that I had the same solution under Windows 8.1, but I didn't remember it anymore.

Thanks so much for the help! Smiley LOL

• joeoil

It's good to see that it solved the shutdown problem on your computers.

I also tried to change the "Intel Management Engine Interface" driver, but that did not solve the problem on my computer. So, it may work on some computer, but not for everyone.

• tepco

Tinkerer

Yes thats what i wanted to tell with my last post Smiley Happy

Can you check the driver version of your Intel Management Engine right now?

Device Manager -> System Devices -> Intel Management Engine -> then double click and search the driver version.

Maybe turn of the feature in energy option that this device can turned off for energy save.

• joeoil

I'm running the upgrade alternative for Win 10 and set option to not keep programs, files and settings. This is as close as possible to a clean install of Windows 10. My computer work fine with this option. A "real clean install" was the problem for my computer.

I tried four different drivers for IMEI, and tried every possible adjustments in settings, like switching of/on hibernation, sleep mode and others. I tried almost every solutions on Microsoft communities and other forums, but nothing solved the problem on my computer.   

On some computers I think the problem is a combination of drivers and the OS that is causing the shutdown problem.

There are still a lot of people out there with computers that are waiting/hoping for Microsoft the lelease a fix to solve the shutdown problem. 

I can live with a Windows 10 upgrade version and not a clean install on my computer, even if I'd prefer a "real clean install".

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

Hi all,

I've read through this thread a few times and I'm not sure I fully grasp what the issue is. I'll summarize what I've gotten out and please feel free to correct me. I'm specifically working around the V5-573PG.

It sounds like the system is not fully shutting down, maybe the display goes off and Windows says it is shutting down but the fans never stop or LED don't go off. Is this accurate? I believe tepco found that uninstalling the Intel Management v11 addressed this for him?

Any clarification or other information will help.

Thanks,
    Cory

• tepco

Tinkerer

Hello Cory,

thanks for your questions:

You are correct. When you shutdown the system (other users told it happens also when go to hibernate/standby) the notebook do not shutdown correctly.

Display turns off, but keyboard light (if the device has it) stays on, and also the fans + the power LED (identificates running system) lights up.

You need to turn off the device by pressing power button some seconds, OR just unplug AC (if it was attached). The problem also accures in battery-mode (not possible to turn off the device by unplugging AC).

Windows 10 itself is shutdown correctly. There is no error sequence when starting again. The device just DONT turn off, after Windows is shutdown completely.

The issue is in most cases Intel Management Engine Interface (IMEI) driver related. Version 11 (for Windows 10) is the main reason for this problem. After uninstall of this driver, and Windows 10 automatic installation of Version 9 (driver date 2013), it works like a charm.

You can find many other users, also with other manufactures here:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-and-Software/Sleep-and-Shutdown-issues-after-upgrading-to-Windows-10/td-p/5177663

Maybe a new, unreleased version of IMEI 11 will fix this, but I don't think so.

• Cory-Acer

Thanks tepco,

Can you tell me if this was every time you shut the system down or was it occassionally? I know you personally uninstalled the IMEI and let Windows reinstall, but before that could you make it happen if it wasn't 100% occurence? If so, how?

Thanks,
    Cory

• tepco

Tinkerer

As I noted some posts ago:

The shutdown issue ONLY accures when the notebook is running for some time (Windows 10 booted and in use).

You CANT readjust the error just with turning the computer on and then directly turn off.

I dont know how long the device must be turned on. I just tried it after 1 hours, maybe 15 minutes is enough to get the issue.

I got the error ALWAYS when my V5 573G was used for some time (1 hours+).

• joeoil

The shutdown issue tepco is describing is exactly the same as I had on my Acer Aspire M3920 desktop pc. It doesn't matter if it's a laptop or desktop, or Acer, HP, Lenovo, Dell or other computer brands. On Microsoft community there is a lot of threads about the same issue. 

Most people having this problem seems to be HP owners, and that IMEI or Intels storage techology, or other Intel devices is the problem. 

• Cory-Acer

Hi All,

I received confirmation that we've identified an issue with Haswell processors and the v10/v11 Intel Management. For now, we're working to update our drivers to promote the current Windows 8.1 version as it works without issue. If an updated driver is released for this issue it will be available on http://support.acer.com

Great thanks to tepco as you're research helped pinpoint where our teams needed to focus and they were able to confirm your findings.

Thanks,
    Cory

• C08R4
    C08R4 Member Posts: 7 New User

Hi, my last experience: latest Intel Management 11.0.0.1180 (date 11/12/2015) for Windows 10 x64 has the same problem with shutdown. Any news? The only version that works is old 9.5 (for Win 8.1). I have Aspire V7-582PG with Haswell processor. Thx

• w0o
    w0o Member Posts: 1 New User

Hey tepco,

just wanted to confirm that I got the same issue on another system which is Acer Aspire E1-572G. I did a clean install of Windows 10 64bit. All solutions except the one you explained did have no no effect whatsoever. Thank you for your solution!

I downloaded the intel management driver here:

http://www.getdriver.com/notebook/2536/acer-aspire-e1-572g-windows-8-1-x64-drivers-64-bit.html

I hope Acer releases a working driver soon since I do not want to use the old driver for a longer period. 

This discussion has been closed.