cd/dvd drive missing after upgrading to Windows 10

shilbert
shilbert Member Posts: 3 New User

I have an Aspire 7551G. Shortly after upgrading to Windows 10 my cd/dvd drive is gone. If I put a cd in the drive nothing happens. The drive doesn't even show up on my computer anymore. If I open the Device Manager it is listed under 'Other Devices' with a question mark. It shows up as OPTIARC DVD RW AD-7585H. How do I get my cd drive back????

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • shilbert

I have tried those but the options they are talking about aren't even on my computer. 

• shilbert

Thank you everyone for your help finally this has worked!

• paulconstantin
    paulconstantin Member Posts: 1 New User

aspire v series

model no: n15q6

ro: pa

mfg date: 11 02 15

i don t knov how to open my cd disk driver

it s windows 10

it s a new laptop

• Snuffy
    Snuffy Member Posts: 150 Fixer WiFi Icon
    1. try this: Enable or disable CD burning capability in Windows 8 or 7 with this registry hack. Hold the Windows Key, then press “R” to bring up the Run dialog box. Type “regedit“, then press “Enter“. This will open the registry editor. Navigate to the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE for all users, or HKEY_CURRENT_USER for the currently logged in user. Software Microsoft Window CurrentVersion Policies Explorer Look for a key called “NoCDBurning”. If it does not exist, you can create a new DWORD value under the Explorer folder by performing the following steps: Click “Edit” > “New” > “DWORD Value“. Name it “NoCDBurning” without quotes. Press “Enter” to save. Double-click on “NoCDBurning” and you can set the value to “1” to disable CD burning or set it to “0” to enable it. 2.next To open the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter, follow these steps: Press the Windows logo key + R to open the Run dialog box. Type control in the Run dialog box, then press Enter. In the Search box in Control Panel, type troubleshooter, and then click Troubleshooting. Under the Hardware and Sound item, click Configure a device. If you are prompted to enter an administrator password or provide confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. If your problem is not solved, try the next resolution. 3. very old but still might work This problem may be caused by two Windows registry entries that have become corrupted. To use Registry Editor to delete the corrupted Registry entries, follow these steps: Press the Windows logo key + R to open the Run dialog box. Type regedit in the Run dialog box, then press Enter. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} In the right pane, click UpperFilters. Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to step 7. On the Edit menu, click Delete. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes. In the right pane, click LowerFilters. Note If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, go to the next resolution. On the Edit menu, click Delete. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes. Exit Registry Editor. Restart the computer.
  • Gats
    Gats Member Posts: 22 New User

I have the Aspire ZC-606 desktop. I have the same problem... please advise

• Snuffy
    small hole in front panel of DVD use paper clip to slowly insert and push, manufacture how to open when no power. it simply unlocked the tray lock. download the driver package from Acer and reinstall your mobo drivers.
  • Snuffy
    from my prior post - windows 10 all versions still has this same fix. ms EVER tells you the same- if you ask them. if this does not work and 99.99% of the time it does.. the other is download the driver pack from Acer and reinstall your driver pack, reboot and test If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} In the right pane, click UpperFilters. Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to step 7. On the Edit menu, click Delete. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes. In the right pane, click LowerFilters. Note If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, go to the next resolution. On the Edit menu, click Delete. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes. Exit Registry Editor. Restart the computer.
  • Gats

That didnt work for me. I dont have upperfilters OR lowerfilters, and I STILL cant get my PC to recognize my disk drive. Please help. Ive been at this for days and nothing seems to be working

• Snuffy
    if you deleted the mentioned in regedit. the entire line, subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} then you have two more options. 1. open control panel - locate your reference to CD/DVD DELETE so that you show NO CD or DVD reference. 2. DL the proper driver set from Acer.... 3. open and install all drivers. just like a new System, same as mentioned in the REGEDIT. when drivers are installed SHUTDOWN - wait 2 mins. restart and your system should then look for all new devices... and install properly. if by change you also might post mention what the DVD drive is...
  • Gats

The drivers I need arent in acer. not that I see anyway. Audio, VGA, and bluetooth are all that are listed. Theres a message that says update windows for latest drivers. Windows updates says currently updated. Im so frustrated. Im not sure what I am doing wrong and Im not a very tech savvy person when it comes to computers. Any other suggestions?

• Snuffy
    well many times MS has screw drivers. and the Drivers are and usually inclued in the mobo drivers set., every Acer I have or had always has DVD drivers. but i also (Techy) remove the DVD and use USBs they are faster. to do everything. and Acer also recommends you use USB to make the Factory Reset. which i always do. my U5-620 DVD drivers are located. here: Chipset_Intel_9.4.0.1026_W81x64_A.
  • Gats

well here goes... feeling stupid, but.. whats a mobo driver and where do I find it? and, Im assuming that you posted your drivers to be able to use, but how do I find those?

• Gats

I need the CD drive because I use this PC for my office and I need to load my invoice program which came on a disk, or I would use my USB.

• Snuffy
    from Acer -- After upgrading to Windows 10, if there are any drivers that haven't been installed, please run Windows Update to install the appropriate drivers. (this is what Acer says for your DRIVERS. so apparently all your drivers are 8.1. and come with the original Windows DVD.) Due to your not so good at doing any tech stuff. I am not sure, how else to help you. some try to do this: on keyboard --> logo + R type sfc /scannow - click enter. this runs a MS program to scan and see if you have any corrupted system files... or also right click the windows logo (lower left corner) left click command prompt (Admin) then type in the black box. SFC /scannow --> click enter it does the same thing and takes some time to run. ------------------------------- or if you are not sure on this: use this program " https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/ ------------------------- photo toolMedia_zpsmibpratn.png--------------------------- look down to Download Tool Now and follow the instructions (directly from MS.) suggest you say SAVE to ISO. because once saved to ISO you double click the ISO, windows will open just like it was a DVD... then you run setup just like on your DVD and when ask chose upgrade.... which this is fix any issues with your current install, you loose nothing, if only fixes... and you alwayss have the ISO saved on your desktop. which you can use any time to fix or repair you install. Wish we were closer - I'd have you bring it to my place and fix it for you.) Kansas and my clients range from local to 150miles away, average fix time is 1hr30min.
  • Gats

Well now I want to just cry.... I did exactly what you said... both steps.. the scannow didnt show any corrupted files. I saved the other to ISO just like you said... I hit setup. it installed and updated windodwsIt shows to be a cd/disk drive D: but all I can do from there is click setup. Ive done this somaany times now there couldnt possibly be aything left to update. I put a disk in drive... lights up, you can hear it turn... nothing. When I click on DVD drive... it shows ISO file... takes me back to origgnal setup ... uggggghhh! Im in Tn, but sure wish  i was in KS right now,lol

• Snuffy
    Make sure you "EJECT" the fake DVD on the DESKTOP. did you check in Device Manager and see if the DVD Drive shows? or is it Yellow Mark locate the line and delete the entire line so it looks like you have no DVD. then move to desktop and open space then refresh. close device manager. open the DVD and insert some sort of DVD or CD. push close.. move back to desktop click refresh, then move to My PC or this PC and double click now do you see a DVD and also see in upper right corner a popup asking what to do when you insert a DVD did that show.... TN is a long way. for sure... you also might try right click This PC --> down to manage --> left click and open storage --> disk management see if you have a Device with no drive letter assigned. It might even say DVD-CD. give it a drive letter. close then reboot now see if the DVD shows - it does have to have a DRIVE letter
  • Gats

I clicked eject... and when I go to Device Manager, only my hard drive shows, but if I click back on ISO, it shows disk drive in left pane as if ISo is in it

• Snuffy
    It will always to that. when you click any ISO that is legit, MS Win10 makes a FAKE(Virtual) DVD - so any ISO on your computer will do that way... and to find try to fix your DVD missing, you have eject the FAKE and try only to insert a REAL CD or DVD into your REAL DVD. we are attempting to determine if your REAL DVD is working or not.. it might be DEFECTIVE. BAD and - that is why I ask you to DL the DRIVERS for your ACER - and reninstall all of them. and unless I could find the NAME of the DVD (not Acer DVD but the manufacture - then no way to simply install ad DRIVER. If I had it - I'd open it up, remove your DVD install a NEW DVD and see - if it was the MOBO or the DVD. and then so easy use a USB adapter to make a DVD portable. another check. method.