Touchpad randomly stops working

Lillelissa
Lillelissa Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi,

On my Travelmate B115 (that I've barely used at all), the touchpad randomly stops working. If I deactivate it and activate it (Fn+F7 twice) it starts working again, but I have to do that once every two minutes, and it's really annoying. Sometimes it also is very slow or imprecise in its movements, and it seems sometimes that it clicks without my wanting it to (it could be that I'm grazing the pad without noticing sometimes, but I'm really writing "in the air" with only my fingers touching the computer's keys now to avoid it, and it still happens).

I am extremely frustrated since this laptop is brand new. Can anyone help me?

Elisabeth

Answers

• joselopez
    joselopez Member Posts: 8 New User
    Exactly the same problem. Just emailed Acer and told me to reset the laptop. I did it and the same problem. Now, directly they don't answer my email.
  • IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

Have you tried to update your drivers?

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers/5328;-;TravelMate%20B115-M

there are 2 different brand of touchpad, please check the one installed on your laptop prior to download the drivers.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • joselopez
    Yes, I did it by recommendation of Acer (although "update" a brand new computer is the last thing I though to do). Also I reseted a new laptop, but I don't understand having this problem nowadays, neither that a "serious" company as Acer don't "know" the solution and tells me what my mum told me before: switch off and off and we'll see what happens... Thank you anyway for your answer. I'll try again.
  • Lillelissa
    Lillelissa Member Posts: 2 New User

That sucks Smiley Sad

and yeah, pretty skeptical about acer already...I already had to send my computer in to repair once because it stopped booting all of a sudden, in my second week of using it.

I'll try updating the drivers though, I haven't done that yet.

• AustinJerry
    AustinJerry Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter

I am having thr same problem.  After I received the laptop earlier this week, I upgraded it to Windows 10 and installed the Synaptics Win10 driver.  The touchpad still locks up frequently.  I am now using a wireless mouse, which works properly.  If I don't resolce the touchpad issue, I will be returning the laptop.

• joselopez
    Yes, I'm doing that because i think it is a design problem ad i bought it in Spain and maybe you both in another country/factory. I want to think they don't know what to do, otherwise...
  • AustinJerry

How does one check which brand touchpad is installed?  I assumed Synaptics.

And when I go to Control Panel/Mouse/Hardware, it shows a generic driver.  Is the Touchpad under Mouse?

• joselopez
    Austin, I would recommend you to use the official site for technical questions. Just in case you receive a wrong answer Acer will tell you that you acted in a inappropriate way and they will charge you for any reparation because you didn't use the official way. I know it is hard because I'm waiting for a solution 5 months ago and still they don't know what to do, but...
  • AustinJerry

Official site?  I thought I was on an "official" Acer website.  Are you saying I should open a support case with Acer Technical Support?  I can't afford to wait very long because if I can't get the touchpad working properly, I will need to RMA the laptop.  I am also having an issue with slow USB ports, which I reported in a separate post.  Both issues are show-stoppers, in my opinion.

• AustinJerry

Another annoying touchpad behavior.  I am finding it very difficult to make precise cursor movements.  I can place the cursor, but I am finding it difficult to lift my finger from the touchpad without disturbing the cursor.  I find that I am frequently selecting the wrong item from a list, for example.  And since "Delete" is right next to "Rename" when you right-click a file name, placing the cursor precisely is very important.

Usually, the Control Panel will have a tool with which mouse and touchpad behavior can be adjusted.  With the B115-MP, there are no Synaptics-specific adjustments.

And while I am at it, anyone else find it disconcerting that the touchpad doesn't have any separation for the left and right "button" area?  When I go to right-click, I click in the wrong spot frequently.

• joselopez
    Yes, you're in an official site of Acer, but the opinions/solutions don't come from Acer technical service but from me who I'm not from Acer (even technical in this issue). This is just a foro, not a technical support from Acer (my view).
  • atmelc
    atmelc Member Posts: 1 New User

Sorry my bad English, I'm not an English speaker.

In Windows10 Updating bios to BIOS_Acer_1.38_A_A    could be a partial solution.  Touchpad works much better.

• AustinJerry

Thank you for alerting me to the new BIOS.  I have downloaded and installed it.  I tried the touchpad briefly, and its operation indeed seems to be improved!