Adaptive Brightness sensor issue

YouTrippin
YouTrippin Member Posts: 11 New User

Hi, 

I have a Aspire V5-571 running windows 8 

My screen wont turn off auto brightness adjust so it keeps dimming in and out light to dark every minute highly annoying, this I believe is due to the adaptive brightness sesnor on the laptop. 

I went to battery settings, change plan settings and advanced options and then turned off "enable adaptive brightness when plugged in or not"

However it still does it even with this feature turned off so I think maybe its something on my laptop doing this also? 

I tried running on different battery plans high performance and balanced and it still happens. 

I have also disabled the sensor monitoring service via the services.msc but it still dims out, the brightness dims when I minimize a browser to desktop then brightnes back up when i load the browser or some other application.

Thank you very much for any input.

Best Answer

• ScottyC
    ScottyC Member Posts: 433 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓

It's completely fine to uninstall Acer Power Management, I personally consider it bloatware.

As per: When I open Intel(R) HD graphics pannel go to power and then disable the 'power saving technology and click apply then ok' this works for awhile however when ever i remove the power supply and re connect it re enables it does not stay unticked.

That would be the power settings changing as the power state changes (plugged in or not). I usually fix this by creating a custom power plan and defaulting to that. If you have a hard time let me know and I'll see if I can come up with anything.

Answers

• ScottyC

EDIT: Sorry, cookie problem forced me to post under wrong thread. I'll get to this shortly.

• YouTrippin

Thanks, just to note ive just also opened the Intel HD graphics and disabled the power saving feature but still occuring

Im just following alot of stuff found on Google atm

• ScottyC

Found this for you, give it a shot and let me know if it works: HERE

• YouTrippin

When I type sensors in the control pannel it shows:

1.png

and when I click location settings it shows:

2.png

The link you posted quotes:

"Select the check box next to the sensor that you want to enable, or clear the check box to disable the sensor, and then click Apply."

But as you can see in the second screenshot there doesnt seem to be anything about sensors to untick

I appreciate your help but this seems liek a lost cause I wish I could just delete the sensirs somehow

• YouTrippin

Maybe has something to do with this models 'ambient keyboard light sensor' ?

http://community.acer.com/t5/Ultra-Thin/Backlit-keyboard-default-setting/td-p/29601

• ScottyC

Oh it does for sure, but you should still be able to download it. And the pictures you included don't actually display, sorry.

I'll see if there's anything else I can find.

• YouTrippin

This is crazy Smiley Sad  If you google windows 8 and adaptive brighness issue there and 100's of threads all around regarding this issue but nothing seems to work 

• YouTrippin

Hi I dont know if you are there but I have spotted something.

When I open Intel(R) HD graphics pannel go to power and then disable the 'power saving technology and click apply then ok' this works for awhile however when ever i remove the power supply and re connect it re enables it does not stay unticked

• YouTrippin

https://communities.intel.com/message/142215

Do you think it is conflicting with ACER power management? Is it fine to delete ACER power managerment? 

• ScottyC
    Answer ✓

It's completely fine to uninstall Acer Power Management, I personally consider it bloatware.

As per: When I open Intel(R) HD graphics pannel go to power and then disable the 'power saving technology and click apply then ok' this works for awhile however when ever i remove the power supply and re connect it re enables it does not stay unticked.

That would be the power settings changing as the power state changes (plugged in or not). I usually fix this by creating a custom power plan and defaulting to that. If you have a hard time let me know and I'll see if I can come up with anything.

• YouTrippin

Thanks I will try this

• YouTrippin

Just came back to say making my own power plan has now stopped the Intel HD grpahics changing back the setting I had a problem with and so far I am not having any issues with the screen dimming in and out of brightness. 

Thank you for all your assistance, hopefully this thread will be found by many others who was expiercing the same problem. 

• ScottyC

Glad to hear it worked for you. I'll mark the solution so others having this issue will be able to fine it more easily. Take care!

• nadfyv
    nadfyv Member Posts: 42 New User

This thread works for me thank you so much! Smiley Happy

• TwiSteDCBloSsoM
    TwiSteDCBloSsoM Member Posts: 1 New User

I realize this thread has been inactive for a while...

However I am having this same issue on the Acer V5-552G running 8.1. The only difference I have noticed however is that I have AMD based graphics. Since the fix for this was switching a setting in the Intel panel I am unsure of where that leaves me. I've tried everything else listed here. I've switched off the sensor from the services.msc, changed the power plan to make sure that it's off there as well, etc etc.

I have Solar Urticaria to UVB and Visible light and though the visible light issue in manageable, this auto adjusting thing is a serious aggrivator to the issue and I need to get it turned off ASAP.

• s2090
    s2090 Member Posts: 5 New User

Hi, this is a message for all Acer V5 running AMD if you're experiencing issues with the Adaptive Brightness Sensor then you must update AMD Catalyst Software.

I had the same issue on my Acer V5 122P and I went to AMD Drivers and Support and downloaded thier 'Find Your Driver' software, this detects what AMD version you have then takes you through step by step to install the up to date driver for your Acer V5 model. 

Here is the link http://support.amd.com/en-us

Hope this helps you with your issue.

• AutoBrightness
    AutoBrightness Member Posts: 1 New User

Okay, so I got the E5-771G-51AB.

I tried disabling the auto brightness feature in the power plan settings which didn't work.

I tried making my own power plan which didn't work.

I tried going into the HD graphics control panel but I can only choose my power settings there (it's set to performance).

I tried going into the NVIDIA control panel, but since the computer uses the worthless OPTIMUS feature, I can't change anything there except 3D settings.

I disabled the sensor monitor service.

Nothing works. Nothing.

• besimmiseb
    besimmiseb Member Posts: 7 New User

My laptop doesnt change the brightness from the ambient light, it changes from what I see in display. If I open something white, it makes it brighter and more contrast, if I open any dark picture, it makes screen darker and changes contras. I dont understand why it is happening.?!?!?!

• AE14
    AE14 Member Posts: 2 New User

besimmiseb wrote:

My laptop doesnt change the brightness from the ambient light, it changes from what I see in display. If I open something white, it makes it brighter and more contrast, if I open any dark picture, it makes screen darker and changes contras. I dont understand why it is happening.?!?!?!

same with me acer E5-475G built in battery. When i set the brightness to the lowest and open something dark, the display will slowly turn darker. This is bothersome. 

• besimmiseb
    besimmiseb Member Posts: 7 New User

I think it is a Windows problem or Intel HD graphics problem..